Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Image Resolution for Display

I am considering purchasing the Digital Foci Photo Book for showing my photos to friends and family. It has an 8" screen with 800 X 600 resolution. I shoot with a K10D which produces 3872 X 2592 files.
Should I be reducing the file size from the camera to more closely match the screen? If I leave the file size alone will I get the whole picture on the screen? I'm probably going to reduce the file size to half because the first set of vacation pictures I want to show will start out about 8 GB (thinned out to fit on 2 DVD's) and the Photo Book only has a 4 GB internal memory. What effect will reducing the file size have on the quality of the displayed image if the display is only 800 X 600? I don't want to give up too much image viewing quality.

Thanks,
Brian

10-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #2

Iīd say you should downsize your images to 800x600 px before loading them into your Photo book. And donīt forget to add a bit of sharpening efter resizing - otherwise they probably gonna look a tad soft.
10-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter

make sure you don't alter the original files. You want to copy and then resize the files. 800x600 is 4:3 aspect ratio the same as an old non-hd tv. The camera takes 3:2 aspect ratio images so when you resize, you will have to crop as well.
10-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You will find that in addition to cropping and resizing, you will want to optimize the files for the display.

10-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd be shocked if a device like that didn't automatically resize images for you (and probably add a bit of sharpening too) - they are usually designed to be usable with memory cards straight from the camera. But no harm in generating resized copies, of course - and it allows you to fit more images on whatever card you might be using.

As for what effect reducing the file size will have, it will have exactly the same effect that viewing 800x600 does on your computer screen. Your computer is already throwing away huge numbers of pixels (temporarily) to fit your image on your screen; throwing them away "permanently" (obviously, don't actually overwrite your original) for use in the photo book is no different.
10-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Jimmy DL said "donīt forget to add a bit of sharpening efter resizing"
I do this whenever I'm down sizing through the batch processing option in PS Elements. Thanks for the reminder.

enoeske said "make sure you don't alter the original files "
Especially since I started with jpeg's, I'm already working with copies while thinning it down and creating a slide show for DVD. Thanks.

Wheatfield said "you will want to optimize the files for the display"
Besides making it fit the format, what do you mean by optimizing for the display?

Marc Sabatella said "they are usually designed to be usable with memory cards straight from the camera"
"As for what effect reducing the file size will have, it will have exactly the same effect that viewing 800x600 does on your computer screen."
This particular "frame" talks about 4GB internal memory and it sounds inconvienient to keep a card in it. I'll have to wait and see when I actually pick it up.
My laptop is set at 1280 X 800, but that is the basis of all of my decisions (keep, cut, modify), so I guess it should look almost as good.

Thanks all, (any other opinions?)
Brian
10-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

When you do sharpening (or noise reduction, or any other operation that affects apparent sharpness), do it at the specific size you intent to view. So if you're creating images for a 800x600 device, do your sharpening while viewing at 800x600 pixels. Most would probably recommend actually resizing first, then sharpening.
10-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know about your photo display, but mine (Sunpak - 600 by 800) works with several memory cards as well as USB jump drives. I copied some files to a CF card, just as saved in the PC (JPEG), popped the card into the unit for a test, and it worked just fine.
GP

10-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote

Wheatfield said "you will want to optimize the files for the display"
Besides making it fit the format, what do you mean by optimizing for the display?

Resize to make sure the unit doesn't have to do it for you. This may not have much effect on how it looks, but it might if it's resizing program isn't as good as what you use for editing.
You will probably find that tweaking the levels/curves will be necessary to make your pictures look as good as possible. These things rarely (if ever) have calibrated screens.
10-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Resize to make sure the unit doesn't have to do it for you. This may not have much effect on how it looks, but it might if it's resizing program isn't as good as what you use for editing.
You will probably find that tweaking the levels/curves will be necessary to make your pictures look as good as possible. These things rarely (if ever) have calibrated screens.
I understand what you're saying. The photos in question for the first round were all shot as jpeg's in camera. I had a setting set incorrectly, so I had to tweak a lot of them to make them look good on my screen (also not really calibrated but adjusted to be pretty good).
All of the reviews that I've been able to find regarding the "picture book" say the display is really good for what it is. I'll probably buy it this week so I'll be learning a lot about it's characteristics.
Brian