Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lost memory

my friend just had her card wiped out by a card reader. any advice for trying to recover the lost data on the card??

10-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
my friend just had her card wiped out by a card reader. any advice for trying to recover the lost data on the card??
FIRST tell them not to use the card.......
then download some recovery software (no particular recommendation)
and get a new card reader.........
Digital Photo Recovery software for Digital Picture Recovery, Digital Image Recovery and Digital Media Recovery
10-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Google "file recovery software". I've never been this unfortunate, so I haven't tried any of them. Don't use the card until you've run it through data recovery.
10-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #4

Three FREE programs that can recover deleted pictures. I've used all three. The last one has been able to recover images from a corrupted card that the first two couldn't see. First two are easier to use. in my opinion. I've run the last two on VIsta.

Recuva
Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

PC Inspector Smart Recovery
CONVAR & PCinspector Data Recovery Datenrettung recupero dati datarecovery rcupration donnes

Zero Assumption Recovery (free if you only use for image recovery)
ZAR data recovery software - do it yourself data recovery and digital image recovery.

10-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chedoy Quote
Three FREE programs that can recover deleted pictures. I've used all three. The last one has been able to recover images from a corrupted card that the first two couldn't see. First two are easier to use. in my opinion. I've run the last two on VIsta.

Recuva
Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

PC Inspector Smart Recovery
CONVAR & PCinspector Data Recovery Datenrettung recupero dati datarecovery rcupration donnes

Zero Assumption Recovery (free if you only use for image recovery)
ZAR data recovery software - do it yourself data recovery and digital image recovery.
All...

we used the PC Inspector smart recovery. It recovered data dating all the way back to the beginning of last year! It didn't recover all the recently lost photos, but most of them. Thanks so much for all your help!

Question for the gurus of memory...if you format your card in camera before using does it wipe it completely clean of all memory? So that if you format you will not be able to recover lost data?
10-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No it doesn't wipe the whole card, just the bit on the card that records where the files are. So after a format you may still be able to recover files.
10-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Let's say that you are going to give away a card. How would you wipe it clean so that nothing could be recovered on it once the other person has it?
10-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #8

The Pentax (and your regular Windows) format process doesn't erase the card. It just clears some headers that listed the file start address, and allows that space to be overwritten. I have tested and can recover all the pictures after a format.

Find a friend with a Canon camera. The Canon's have a low level format option that will fully wipe out the picture files, and the above programs won't be able to recover anything. Really easy and fast, as long as you both use SD cards.

There are utilities like Eraser from Sourceforge. It is designed to make multiple pass writes of data patterns to hard drives and is good enough to foil CSI type forensics experts. If set up to just make one pass, that's good enough to scrub files off a drive that you want to give away. You can run it on a drive and it will scrub all currently un-used space too. It will also work on card reader contents. It takes some tech skill to install and set up. After that, "erase" become one of the options like "copy", "delete". etc when you right click on a file. Like anything else with such capabilities, one could probably screw up with it and crash a Windows install. Just wanted to point out such tools are available, and the sourceforge people seem pretty reputable.

10-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Find a friend with a Canon camera. The Canon's have a low level format option that will fully wipe out the picture files, and the above programs won't be able to recover anything. Really easy and fast, as long as you both use SD cards.
I saw that this past weekend on my relatives 30D. I wondered what that was. How come Pentax DSLRS dont...........
03-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #10

The Pentax (and your regular Windows) format process doesn't erase the card. It just clears some headers that listed the file start address, and allows that space to be overwritten. I have tested and can recover all the pictures after a format.

There are utilities like Eraser from Sourceforge. It is designed to make multiple pass writes of data patterns to hard drives and is good enough to foil CSI type forensics experts. If set up to just make one pass, that's good enough to scrub files off a drive that you want to give away. You can run it on a drive and it will scrub all currently un-used space too. It will also work on card reader contents. It takes some tech skill to install and set up. After that, "erase" become one of the options like "copy", "delete". etc when you right click on a file. Like anything else with such capabilities, one could probably screw up with it and crash a Windows install. Just wanted to point out such tools are available, and the sourceforge people seem pretty reputable.

Formatting of any kind simply removes the index file that contains pointers to the beginner (header) of data files. There are utilities readily available to consumers that will recover files from cards that have undergone Canon's low-level format. You may have to spend a bit of $$ but it's possible.

I use a disk wiping utility (writes zeros to each data location) to avoid having information getting into the wrong hands from old media.
03-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If it's fast, that's a clue that it's not good enough.

And there's really no reason to use another camera for this. What you want is a "secure deletion" or "secure reformat" utility. Under Linux, there's a tool called "wipe". This overwrites the entire card several times with random data.