Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #1

Error when setting White balance

Disclaimer, I am a newbe to DSLRs.

When I set the white balance manually on my k20d (using sheet of white paper). I frequently get a black screen that says NG in the middle of it, and my white balance is not set. Does anyone know what this NG means and what I'm doing wrong?

thanks!

10-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
mer

I am pretty sure NG means not good , this means that with the photo you took the camera couldn't understand which is the optimal white balance. If you get a black screen then the exposure was wrong. Set it to Av or Auto so the exposure is more or less correct.
10-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Please use manual focus and fill the screen thru the view finder, set the camera to program mode, as I feel the mode must have been set to Tv, and the shutter speed must have been high. Further for precise results, I have always set the ISO to 100. These must solve your problems.
10-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
Previously, I did have the camera set to P mode, exposer metering set to auto, and ISO set to auto.

The only thing that seems to decrease the NG is setting the camera to 100 iso. But i do still receive the NG even then sometimes.

does anyone know what the camera is looking for that would qualify the picture as usable or NG(not good) for white balance?

10-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience with my new K20 is that is you're using a bright white card/paper you may be pushing it too hard; try an 18% gray card. Also, I set mine in the lowest ISO I'm going to be able to use, set to Manual Mode and MF and make sure the card fills the viewfinder, then go through the steps. I'm getting consistently useable WB readings and got the "no good" reading only once when I used a sheet of bright white paper in at mid-day. Good luck,
Brian
10-31-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The easiest solution to WB woes is to shoot in RAW and then adjust your WB in post-processing.

Or do what I have been doing for sh*ts and giggles this week....shoot everything in black and white mode.