Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #1

Hotshoe flash Help!!!!!!!!

I recently bought the k20d and so far I LOVE IT!!! BUT i bought my camera and lens in a kit from an online electronics store that threw in all sorts of extra stuff. In that stuff I got a DIGITAL CONCEPTS Hotshoe flash. I cant for the life of me figure this thing out. Ive read everything I can find online about the flashes but my problem is still here. When I attach the flash and attempt to use it..It will flast with the first photo but not anymore after that. Whats the deal? Is there some setting that I need to change to use this flash, or is this flash not for my camera?

10-28-2009, 05:32 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Make sure the batteries are fresh.

I'd try the flash in auto mode if it has one, rather than ttl/P-ttl, and if it still isn't working correctly, then send it back.

These flashes aren't know for having the highest qc standards.
10-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

Have you waited long enough? After you fire the flash, it should start sort of whining, and only until it charges itself again, you can discharge it one more time. That is, if you fired off all the power in one shot.
10-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with the Digital Concepts flash, nor do I have a K20D. I have a K10D.

On my camera, and I believe on the K20D, there is an option in the Custom Settings Menu to "Release when charging". If this is set to OFF, the camera will not allow the shutter to be released until the flash indicates to the camera that it is fully charged. If the setting is ON, it will allow release with a partially charged flash.

Some low-cost flashes have rather long recycle times, of as much as 30 seconds. This is especially true if the batteries are low. Try using new alkaline batteries and watch for the "Ready" light on the flash before trying to take a picture.

If you do enable the "Release when charging" option, you risk having severely underexposed flash pictures. That's why the option to prevent shooting with a partially charged flash is there in the first place.

Let us know what the result is.

10-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I know somebody who bought a Digital Concept flash. He had to turn it "off", then back "on" after every picture to be able to use it. He just "flushed" it. He bought a Sigma unit to replace it, and now he is a happy camper.
11-02-2009, 12:02 AM   #6

Which model, denley01? As others have said, there are quality control issues, however, I have been lucky.

I have a Digital Concepts 952AF purchased in early 2008 when my AF-540FGZ needed a cast (broken foot ). I haven't had any trouble with it not firing because of any defect--in the flash. I have it and my AF-540 fail to fire because I hadn't seated them properly. Have you checked the to see if it's securely mounted?