Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #1

Which to buy?

I've been researching now for a while...based on that, recommendations from another Pentax owner, and an admission from a staff member at a local camera store that if they were starting their gear over again they would go Pentax, I've pretty much decided on Pentax for myself.

I like the feel of larger cameras, and loved the K20D when I held it, and I love the features. However, with availability becoming a problem, affordability might be an issue. I know that I can't afford the K7 now, and so I am looking at either the K-x or K200.

I used to shoot film SLR (Konica TT3), but's it's been years since I even picked it up. I plan to use it mostly landscapes, buildings, etc...static shots. As far as indoor shooting, the high ISO isn't so important...most likely taking snapshots at birthday parties...may continue to simply use my P&S. Video is great, but isn't a requirement.

So, my question is this...

I have the opportunity to buy a K200D new in the box, with the DA 18-55 for $599 Cdn...versus the K-x with the DA L 18-55 for $699 Cdn. What would be your recommendations?

10-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The K200D is a great camera, but the K-X is even greater. I personally would spend the extra $100.00 and get the K-X. If you decide to take indoor pictures later on, you'll be glad to have the high ISO capabilities of the K-X.
10-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
High ISO performance + faster burst speed vs weathersealing
10-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One other consideration is that the K200 has weather proofing. I am not sure about the K-x.

10-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #5

I think also the focus point (red dot), if that is important knowing where it is focusing.
10-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #6

K200D has top LCD which K-X doesn't.
K200D has focus point indication and focus confirm in viewfinder, k-x doesn't.
as mentioned K200D has weather sealing which k-x lacks.

K-x has newer generation CMOS sensor. K200D has CCD.
K-x has movie mode. K200D doesn't.
k-x has scene modes for DSLR beginner. k200d doesn't
k-x has live view with face detection. k200d doesn't.

if you want to use manual focus lenses, its better to go with K200D(since it has focus indicators)
else go with k-x.

if its your first dslr. k-x would be better.
10-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #7

I would lean towards K-x because it's newer and more refined, though it doesn't have weather sealing and focus point indication as pointed out above. But I think the new extras in K-x are worth the extra cost especially the movie and the newer sensor.

10-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can find a K20D, you would be pleased with it. It's a step above the K200D and only doesn't meet the K-x in high ISO capabilities.
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by sharathk Quote
K200D has top LCD which K-X doesn't.
if you want to use manual focus lenses, its better to go with K200D(since it has focus indicators) else go with k-x.
I don't know about the K200D, but on the K-7, a manual focus lens doesn't use the "red dot focus point indicators". You will here the camera beep and get a solid green hexagon in the view finder when the center focus area detects that focus has been acheived. This is how the K2000 behaved with MF lenses as well.

I've used cameras with and without the focus point indicators. Without the indicators, I found it easiest to just use center focus only, focus and then recompose.
10-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharathk Quote
K200D has focus point indication and focus confirm in viewfinder, k-x doesn't.
if you want to use manual focus lenses, its better to go with K200D(since it has focus indicators)
else go with k-x.
K-x has focus confirm - just not the indication of which focus point is confirmed. But since with MF lenses, only the center point is ever used with focus confirm, there's basically no advantage ot the K200D in this respect.

QuoteQuote:
k-x has scene modes for DSLR beginner. k200d doesn't
I don't know if they have the same scene modes or not, but the K200D definitely has some. Not that I see much point to them.
10-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It is an exciting time to have interests in digital slr cameras indeed these days. And perhaps especially for Pentax fans. Three years and more full of astounding options.

Thanks again, Pentax!
10-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would definitely get the K-x over the K200D. Sure the K200D has top LCD and weather-sealing but the K-x is overall, technically the better camera. The difference is a lot for just a hundred dollars more.

What the K-x has that the K200D doesn't is live view, superior high iso noise levels, HD video recording, more megapixels, cmos sensor, faster burst speed, and better low-light autofocusing. Plus it has more features, and is still supported by Pentax and will continue to have future firmwares.

What the K200D has that the K-x doesn't is optional battery grip, top LCD, weather-sealing, and focus points indicators in VF.
10-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The curmudgeon approach

We each have our own requirements from a camera. Here is my take on the differances LeDave sets out.
  • Live view - No. LV is of little use outdoors. You cannot see the LCD without something like a Hoodman anyway, so why not use the viewfinder.
  • More Megapixels - Maybe. The K-X sensor has more megapixels, but the Mp race is about like the horsepower race in cars. 10 is overkill for most of us. 6 is enough for a magazine cover, after all. (Check with George Lepp). On the other hand, the ability to make large prints from a cropped image would be nice.
  • Lower noise at high ISO from the CMOS sensor - Yes, but I generally shot Fuji Velvia 100 film, so, for me, any ISO above 100 is a bonus.
  • Video - No The only motion pictures I have ever taken was with a 16mm Bolex with a three lens turret. Give me a Beta camera if I go for digital video.
  • Burst Mode - No. I spend enough time editing the images I take using carefully timed shutter releases. The k10 has been in burst mode maybe 3 times - and then just for the fun of it.
  • Better Low Light AF - Yes This is a definite advantage, and would be an advantage for snap-in-focus in the woods, too.
  • Top LCD - No. The only time I use the top LCD is to check the mode, ISO and card space when I first turn the camera on. The info button gives me all this and more on the LCD.
  • Weather Sealing - Yes, Yes, Yes. This is a huge advantage for anyone who uses the camera outdoors. This past summer, I took the camera behind a waterfall with the DA* 16-50 on the front. I would have passed up this opportunity without weather sealing. I still recall with horror when an orca got my KX + 135/3.5 in Victoria. I missed over half the show getting all that salt water off the machinery. By the way, that's KX not K-X - the 100% manual camera from the 1970's.
  • Focus point indicators - No. I like the light show in the viewfinder, but find it distracting at times. I generally use the camera in center point AF or MF and then it doesn't matter, anyway.
  • Current production - No. One of the great advantages to the Pentax system is my ability to still use my old lenses while I amass the cash to buy newer. You get the same warranty from a new K200 as from a new K-X.
So there you have it - an opinion by an old curmudgeon. You pays your money and you takes your pick
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
K-x has focus confirm - just not the indication of which focus point is confirmed. But since with MF lenses, only the center point is ever used with focus confirm, there's basically no advantage ot the K200D in this respect.

I don't know if they have the same scene modes or not, but the K200D definitely has some. Not that I see much point to them.
true, focus confirm is good enough with manual focus lenses. thanks mark for correcting me.
10-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #15
Forum Member

You can also get the BG-3 battey grip for the K200D. It adds a little bit more size to the camera and can be found for less than $50. I just got one for my K200D and I like the added size. The Kx does not offer the option of using a battery grip. You will like ether camera.

Rick