Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 04:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K2000 in the cold weather- ok or ??

Here in Northern Ohio, it's cod for about 5 or 6 months out of the year. I have a K-7 which, according to the specs, is cold resistant. I have a k2000/k-m as a back-up body. I was considering doing some outdoor shooting this winter with a freind, and the plan was to let them use my k2000. Is there any reason to keep the k2000 out of the cold? If so, at what temp is it warm enough to use it safely?

10-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
-10C? I am not sure really but most Pentax cameras I have used in the past claimed to work down to -10C. The major concern has always been condensation, and the lack of power in extreme cold. Bring 2 sets of lithium AAs, and keep one set warm in your clothes and swap them when needed.
10-30-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

They'll work in the cold until they stop working from the cold, and they they'll start working once they warm up again.
The batteries are going to be the controlling factor, as it needs to be really cold for the mechanicals to freeze.
Several years ago I went out and tortured an LX and K1000 with some cold weather shooting. It was somewhat below -40C. The LX quit after about 1/2 hour due to dead batteries. I could still shoot above the sync speed, but couldn't meter or shoot below the sync speed.
The K1000 stopped about 15 minutes later when the shutter got about halfway open and then froze.
Just wrap them in a towel or a plastic bag when you go back inside until they warm back up. I'd do this with the "weatherproof" camera as well as the other one.
10-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you'll be fine using it. First of all, need to acclimatize the camera to the cold for a little while before shooting. Then, use Lithium AAs rather than other batteries -- they are just a lot more cold tolerant and don't lose their charge nearly as fast in cold weather as other batteries. I have shot in sub zero weather with the K10/K20 and had no problems from a camera standpoint.

10-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They'll work in the cold until they stop working from the cold, and they they'll start working once they warm up again.
The batteries are going to be the controlling factor, as it needs to be really cold for the mechanicals to freeze.
Several years ago I went out and tortured an LX and K1000 with some cold weather shooting. It was somewhat below -40C. The LX quit after about 1/2 hour due to dead batteries. I could still shoot above the sync speed, but couldn't meter or shoot below the sync speed.
The K1000 stopped about 15 minutes later when the shutter got about halfway open and then froze.
Just wrap them in a towel or a plastic bag when you go back inside until they warm back up. I'd do this with the "weatherproof" camera as well as the other one.
Good tips. Usually I just leave it in the bag and don't take it out for a while when going indoors. But towels sounds good too
10-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you'll be fine using it. First of all, need to acclimatize the camera to the cold for a little while before shooting. Then, use Lithium AAs rather than other batteries -- they are just a lot more cold tolerant and don't lose their charge nearly as fast in cold weather as other batteries. I have shot in sub zero weather with the K10/K20 and had no problems from a camera standpoint.
Umm, no. If it's cold enough to kill the camera, then you need to minimize exposure to the cold. The longer you let the camera "acclimatize" the less time you'll be able to use it before the batteries go soft.
It's bringing the camera in from the cold where it needs to acclimatize, and this is to let it warm up so that you don't get frost and condensation all over everything.
10-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree w/everything Wheatfield's posted.

Last year I used my K100D fairly extensively outside in temps approached 0F. No sluggishness or any odd behavior. No problems with plain ol' Energizer rechargeable batteries, either.
10-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One area where the black body camera will excel over the white body!

White is good for sunny summer, cools the camera, black helps warm it up in the winter in the sun!

10-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
One area where the black body camera will excel over the white body!

White is good for sunny summer, cools the camera, black helps warm it up in the winter in the sun!
Well aren't you just a glass half full kinda guy.
10-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
Forum Member

Hi I'm also in Northeast Ohio and I've used my K200D in the cold many times. Just keep your spare batteries warm and you should be fine. Try and find some flexible gloves to wear, my fingers would get cold well before my camera would have a problem. I use rechargables in my camera without problems, but litiums are said to be better in the cold.

Rick