Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #1

bought a k200d on ebay. will it work?!?

hi guys

i've got my first ever dslr (a used k200). i've bought a lens separately and it hasn't been delivered yet so i can't test the camera.
however, while holding the body, i feel something is moving inside the camera!?! if i move it from right to left it's like something is loose inside, and it moves for about 1mm or so. same thing on the other side.

is this normal? sorry for the stupid question but in my old film camera it doesn't happen...

anybody has a clue?

10-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This is perfectly normal. It is the in-body vibration reduction mechanism.
10-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Not stupid at all. The image sensor "floats" to provide in-body stabilization.
10-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
wow guys thanks. panic is over.

10-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #5

Just realize now that you will have to adjust the settings. I had to spend several hours making adjustments til I got it right.
10-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCharles Quote
Just realize now that you will have to adjust the settings. I had to spend several hours making adjustments til I got it right.
care to explain better to a noob? which setting should i adjust? can't i simply restore the factory settings to get a "fresh" camera?
10-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No need to worry about fiddling with any settings unless results aren't the way you want them to be.

Start with just getting familiar with your camera with the basics - exposure modes and aperture/shutter speed/sensitivity settings, then later on you'll realise a whole new world opening up to you to create even more with your humble camera...
10-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JCharles Quote
What settings on the K200D need to adjust? I'm just as confused as the OP.

10-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
What settings on the K200D need to adjust? I'm just as confused as the OP.
What you need to do is read the manual. If you just now stepping up from a Point and Shoot, the auto mode on the K200d is great. The k200d manual is pretty good at explaining what things can be adjusted. I could tell you every little setting that I have on my camera but that would do you a disservice if you work differently.

Remember this above all else, the final image is what it is about. How you get there isn't as important. As you get better you'll learn the most efficient method for you to get the image you want. Just like a computer, everyone configures their cameras differently. If you are worried about the image quality of the k200d don't be. It shoots great pictures. Go to the pentaxgalleries website to check out some awesome photos shot by this camera. Or you could (shameless self-promotion I know) check out my website as well for some example shots. I love my k200d.
11-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Why is it that when people buy cameras, they also shake it?
I've come across this so many times here at the forum..hehe.
Don't shake too much though even though it has a floating mechanism, it would be too much for the camera if you shake it on purpose.
This is pretty normal and no question is a stupid question..only those that aren't asked and leave you in the dark or less informed.
Have fun when you get your lenses!
11-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
page 15 of the paper manual, page 17 of the pdf download from Pentax site:

QuoteQuote:
Shake Reduction (SR)
Shake Reduction (SR) on the x features a PENTAX original
system which uses magnetic force to move the image sensor at high
speeds, compensating camera shake.
The camera may generate some operating noise when it is shaken, such
as when changing the composition of a picture. It is not a malfunction.
What is meant , but not well articulated, is that if you 'shake' the camera or rotate it from landscape to portrait orientation there will be some noise/vibration (typically referred to as a 'clunk'). This happens even when the camera is switched off.

Last edited by bobD; 11-02-2009 at 05:03 PM.
11-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Why is it that when people buy cameras, they also shake it?
I've come across this so many times here at the forum..hehe.
Don't shake too much though even though it has a floating mechanism, it would be too much for the camera if you shake it on purpose.
This is pretty normal and no question is a stupid question..only those that aren't asked and leave you in the dark or less informed.
Have fun when you get your lenses!
To see if they can hear something broken on the inside; the dreaded rattle of something in the camera that has come aloose or done broke off up in there.
11-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
Forum Member

So, giorgio...did you get your lens yet? Everything OK with the K200D? Inquiring minds want to know!
11-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #14

Original Poster
the lens didn't arrive yet... but it has been shipped. can't wait to start firing away...
that's why i've noticed the shake reduction mechanism, i was just checking if it feels ok in my hands and i felt the 'clunk'...