Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hot pixels - K7

I have done a search and found a couple of similar things but I haven't quite got the answer I'm after. I hope I'm not repeating anything too much.

I bought a K7 a couple of months ago. After downloading some photos last night I noticed a number of hot pixels on my images when I zoomed in slightly. Now, I know these come with the territory of dSLRs and there are ways of dealing with them, however how many is a concern? I gather a few is ok? I'm asking this because although this is my second dSLR, my istDs didn't seem to show up any, or at least nothing obvious that I have seen.

The couple of pictures I took had dots ALL over the image and there are far too many for me to count. I ran the pixel mapping option on the camera and it's certainly improved. Unfortunately I have a heightened awareness for problems with my camera now because 5 days of owning it I was doing a firmware update that disabled the camera. The processor was 'fried' so I was told. I don't mean to alarm anyone because knowing me, it was proabably something I did despite following the instructions. It was away for repairs for 6 weeks and then I had to return it again because one of the seals was left hanging out after the camera was put back together again! Needless to say, I'm hesitant to do any updates on it!

So shall I just leave it at that? or should I have the camera looked at if I'm getting that same level of problem again? Thanks for any input, I'm just not sure if I'm expecting too much

10-31-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Hot Pixels are something we have to live with. If you send it in, you will soon have new ones.
If you shoot RAW, PP software should extract them automatically.

Moved to Beginners Q&A where this question will benefit more people.