Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #16

The best book I know about digital photography is La Pratique du Réflex Numérique by René Bouillot.
This book covers all technical aspects of digital reflex cameras (ex. how to calculate the dimension of the pixels on the sensor) as well as the main types of applications (portrait, landscape, macro, etc.).
This is the most complete book on the subject. I usually prefer reading technical books published in the US, but surprisingly this French book is really the best, imho.
For a complete description, see Amazon.fr or Amazon.ca.
Bye.

11-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't ready 'understanding exposure' but it seems to come fairly highly recommended and the title does sort of say it all. This is definitely a concept that you want a firm grasp on so that when you're photographing, you can confidently work on composition and exposing the shot you see in your mind than what is physically represented.

I'm reading a book called the practical zone method currently which tries to break down Ansel Adams Zone System in a less technical approach. To be fair, it's still pretty technical and there's a lot of reference to the traditional methods of film (which I come from). It is instructive in a lot of ways, and capturing photos on a negative and exposing on paper has a very physical tangible property towards building an understanding to exposure (not to mention a costly incentive). There's sections that specifically address the unique nature of the digital medium, but you have to be patient and understand the relevance of film and not just dismiss it as a thing of the past.

The Scott Kelby books are much more of a 'canned result' oriented approach so it brings immediate gratification, but in the long run, i'm not sure the photographer is any better off understanding what they are controlling to give that result.