Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spotmatic SP Battery?

Hi everyone,

I just got a Spotmatic SP without a battery.

I did some research on the net, but got confused after seeing various posts about the requirement for a mercury type battery that is no longer in production.

I also notice the batteries for my KX don't fit the slot.

Can anyone please advise just exactly what battery types are compatible with this camera? Are they readily available? This will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

11-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, I found the link here:

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAoQFjAA&url=h...dPq5bV5mxBMDyg

This answers the question. Sorry for asking this here and thanks.
11-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
Hi everyone,

I just got a Spotmatic SP without a battery.

I did some research on the net, but got confused after seeing various posts about the requirement for a mercury type battery that is no longer in production.

I also notice the batteries for my KX don't fit the slot.

Can anyone please advise just exactly what battery types are compatible with this camera? Are they readily available? This will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
According to Pentax-manuals.com the Spotmatic SP500 and SP1000 used a Mallory PX400 1.35V Mercury Cell. Wein and Excell make Zinc/Air 1.35V replacements (but they only last about 2 months and are $5 - $10 each). Here is one source for the batteries.

The Silver Oxide replacement is a 1.5V Excell battery #S400PX. Spotmatic cameras have a bridge circuit that adjusts to the higher voltage so the meter stays accurate (I believe this is true of the Spotmatic SP series).

Here's a pretty detailed article from OK1000PentaxBlog
11-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your info monochrome.

11-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, found an AG3 pack just for a quick test (the guide says any type 392 will do, of which the AG3 is one). I couldn't get the needle to turn when pressing the meter switch...

I've tried both polarities - no response from the camera. The battery seems to be very small given the size of the slot. I've measured the battery using a multimeter, and it's definitely discharging properly.

Anyway, I found another LR44 battery lying around, so I tried putting it in. The needle moves when pressing the switch! Although it does not give the correct reading.

Any advice? Thanks a lot!