Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #16

Original Poster
Flickr: EDXzim's Photostream

Here is the link to my photostream on flicker, and I know, walking somes before running but i've been walking for a while.... :P The comments I've heard so far are great! Alot harder to implement though!

11-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I am no pro, but those are some nice photographs. It does seem you have an eye for interesting pictures, and/or are good at picking out "keepers". The question I would have, though, is what kind of pro do you aspire to becoming? Photojournalist, wedding, portraits, starving artist? I suspect the above posters are right in that experience (and a good portfolio?) matters far more than a degree in almost any photographic career.
11-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, and all the best in your endeavours.
Your collection is a good start - if you're serious about the vocation, then you'll be serious about learning it, continuing to practice it and striving to improve yourself in it every day.

There's much more to the career than just taking great photos. Business strategies, marketing, creating sellable art, people skills and posing (if portraiture is of interest) developing clientelle and attaining recognition are all significant aspects to photography that need to complement the technical skill.
11-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chidembo Quote
Hey every body!

I'm really itching to get into the "pro" field and you know excel in the world of photography, I'm going to school next year for it, 12 moth Degree but I don't think that enough! I've asked the local paper to see if I can get a spot for some practice and getting my work published. Now am I going in the right driection, do I speak to agencys? What do I have to do to become an "elite" memember of the photography world!?
I'm not reading the whole thread but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in:

STRATEGIZE everything you're going to want your business to do from start to finish. Make documents, contracts, forms, policies...everything.

You want to have an idea of what you're going to do from start to finish with each client from the beginning-marketing, to the end-responding to the thank you, and every teeny tiny little step in between.

Think about where you are going to SPEND for biz costs before you start earning. That way you can price yourself accordingly....

Just my 2

Peace

11-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #20
Damn Brit

I'm assuming that you are planning to focus on the skateboarding world and related lifestyles by what is posted on your flickr site, if you're not, then you should be. Knowing your subject is a big part of it. You obviously have talent that needs shaping and polishing and school is the best way if you want to go far. Consider a degree program at an accredited school though. It will take longer but pay off in the long run if you have the talent. There's nothing to stop you working at photography while you study and if you are good, the industry will find you (that's the main reason for school, to put yourself somewhere that you'll be noticed by the right people).
Work on your composition, a lot of you're shots are centered, you get away with a lot of them but it's still a bad habit. Get your horizons straight. Learn the basics, shoot manually, shoot with just the traditional stops - apertures f/2 or 2.8, 3.5 or 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22 and exposures 1sec, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15,1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/100. That will get you thinking about what you do and not let the camera take control.
Get a manual film camera and a light meter to help you with the basic stuff as well.
11-04-2009, 05:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great pics. You have the eye for sure! Just follow some good advice, learn and shoot. Are you sure you need to take a twelve month course as you already seemed to have mastered the basics. You could learn alot from this forum and other sources.
11-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
Yes, one can learn a lot about photography in 12 months of dedicated training, but it won't turn you into a pro.
Well, in my neck of the woods, "Pro" means you bought a pair of digital Rebels and some business cards, so I guess it's a matter of perspective.

11-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

After reviewing your Flickr page I would suggest that if you are going to spend twelve months in classes, you might want to consider business classes instead. You seem to have the photographic skills necessary.
11-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #24
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Great pics. You have the eye for sure! Just follow some good advice, learn and shoot. Are you sure you need to take a twelve month course as you already seemed to have mastered the basics. You could learn alot from this forum and other sources.
Their are several advantages to going to school Rob. One is getting back to basics so as to lessen the impact of any bad habits one might get into as a self taught amateur. Another is the opportunity to network with your future peers. Also, it gives you a chance to have your work seen by the movers and shakers in the photographic world and the possibility of getting in at a higher level up the ladder. Finally, as Steve alluded to above, you get a grounding in the business side of being a photographer.
11-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Their are several advantages to going to school Rob. One is getting back to basics so as to lessen the impact of any bad habits one might get into as a self taught amateur. Another is the opportunity to network with your future peers. Also, it gives you a chance to have your work seen by the movers and shakers in the photographic world and the possibility of getting in at a higher level up the ladder. Finally, as Steve alluded to above, you get a grounding in the business side of being a photographer.
Point well taken Gary. I guess I was so impressed with the pics I felt the need for more education was not all that necessary. I should know better than this as I also like to go to school. I took courses in Photoshop years ago and I learned alot which I still use today.
11-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #26

Original Poster
Great stuff, so basicaly going to school is something I should go forward with as it does include business and photoshop training. But I guess after that schooling I should look into more advanced business and marketing too further boost that area, cause alot of photographers I have met keep saying forget the photography learn the BUSINESS!!!
11-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #27
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by chidembo Quote
Great stuff, so basicaly going to school is something I should go forward with as it does include business and photoshop training. But I guess after that schooling I should look into more advanced business and marketing too further boost that area, cause alot of photographers I have met keep saying forget the photography learn the BUSINESS!!!

To reiterate what I said earlier, if you're going to focus on the skateboarding and related stuff, you already have an in. A decent school will give you more of the same and if you are any good, chances are the right people will come to you. If that happens then other than the business side of things that school has taught you, you just need the name of a good lawyer to check your contract for you before you sign it.