Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #1

Getting Started In your Pro Career?

Hey every body!

I'm really itching to get into the "pro" field and you know excel in the world of photography, I'm going to school next year for it, 12 moth Degree but I don't think that enough! I've asked the local paper to see if I can get a spot for some practice and getting my work published. Now am I going in the right driection, do I speak to agencys? What do I have to do to become an "elite" memember of the photography world!?

11-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Moved to the Pro forum.
11-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Maybe try to follow a pro around and help them out while getting valuable experience
11-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Post some pictures in the critique section and let us see what you're made of. Buying a fancy camera and joining a forum to ask how to do it does not a pro photographer make. If you can find a school that will give you a degree in 12 months, you might as well send me your tutoring fees, I'll print you a degree and put it in the post the very next day.

11-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Moved back to Beginners Q&A, no wonder there isn't much traffic in the Pro section if stuff like this gets put there.
11-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chidembo Quote
Hey every body!

I'm really itching to get into the "pro" field and you know excel in the world of photography, I'm going to school next year for it, 12 moth Degree but I don't think that enough! I've asked the local paper to see if I can get a spot for some practice and getting my work published. Now am I going in the right driection, do I speak to agencys? What do I have to do to become an "elite" memember of the photography world!?
Those types of degrees give me butterflies in my stomach.
11-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You -could- become a "pro" photographer in 12 months, assuming you live, breathe, eat, sleep, and dream photography. You will also need a considerable amount of natural talent, and you will probably need a shrink to keep from going insane.

You would probably be better off taking a somewhat slower pace.

11-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
Damn Brit

Regardless of what's already been said, "Welcome".
It's good to be keen but learn to walk before you try to run.
Anyone coming on here telling us they want to be a pro without even showing us some of their work isn't going to get the best responses.
You'll learn a lot from this forum though, if you're prepared to put the effort in and listen to peoples advice.
11-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you can learn the mechanics of photography in 12 months. What is much harder to do is to hone your eye and to learn to capture great images. From your opening post, I guess you are interested in photojournalism? Probably the best thing to do is to sign on with a small local newspaper for pennies and experience. It will look good on your resume and you'll get chances to shoot community events. I think the degree is worth less than the experience factor.
11-02-2009, 05:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What do you expect to learn in 12 months at school that will make you a pro? If it's fundamentals than you have a long way to go. If it's the business aspects, than you might be able to put something together in a reasonable amount of time assuming you already have some talent.

I am convinced that the right drive, determination, and a good business sense is most important for making money from photography. Photography skills are crucial, but not as much as you think.

I make some extra income from photography - not enough to quit my day job, but enough to make it worthwhile. It's important to figure out what you want before spending time and money in school. School isn't going to make you a pro, just like buying a pro camera doesn't make you a pro.

Technically, I might be considered a pro, but I don't use 'pro' cameras. I also have never had any 'formal' training. Not saying my way is the right way, just something to think about.

Last edited by joeyc; 11-02-2009 at 06:06 AM.
11-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
What do you expect to learn in 12 months at school that will make you a pro?
One would think that should be long enough. I mean really, we aren't talking brain surgery here.
11-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
One would think that should be long enough. I mean really, we aren't talking brain surgery here.
Maybe my point was not clear. I literally meant, what do you expect to learn? Maybe I should have said plan - like anything else related to business (and being a pro is a business), you need to have a plan. I wish the OP the best - I don't know what his or her skill set encompasses - it just seems that if one is asking the question on a forum, that there may need to be more 'planning'.

Yes, one can learn a lot about photography in 12 months of dedicated training, but it won't turn you into a pro.

I just want to get the thoughts churning. There are many ways to go with earning an income from photography.
11-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #13

Original Poster
Okay I'll post a link to my flicker after I get back from work this evenin so you guys and criteque my work and see if I have the write stuff!
11-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chidembo Quote
Okay I'll post a link to my flicker after I get back from work this evenin so you guys and criteque my work and see if I have the write stuff!
Not to nit pick, but I would ask someone to proof read your web site when you launch your career -- spelling errors can shut down a budding career -- even with someone with the Writest of Stuff.
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
You -could- become a "pro" photographer in 12 months, assuming you live, breathe, eat, sleep, and dream photography. You will also need a considerable amount of natural talent, and you will probably need a shrink to keep from going insane.
And he'd get nowhere without business skills. From what I've seen, and from a hobbyist viewpoint, being a "pro" photographer, where photography is your main source of income, is more about how good your business skills are than how great your photography is.