Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #1

The lens collection thread

I've recently taken the plunge into the world of DSLR, got myself a brand new K-X and a couple of used manual lenses already. So far I'll have 3 lenses with me, 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.7 and the kit lens (18-50, f/3.8-5.6). My main interests in DSLR would be street, landscape, and portraits. I would also like to have the capability to do some macro shots but that's not as important as the other three. I just want to ask the experienced people here, how did you build up your lens collection? I think there's two paths from where i'm at, going primes or going zooms, I think the zooms (DA* 50-135, 16-50) would be a REALLY good combo and lite weight too, and I'll be able to save for it over the course of 2 years. However, primes look really attractive too, (15mm, 40mm and 70mm limited, OMG >.>).

I am on a really tight budget (still a student in university,paying for rent and tuition and what not). so I want to hear your stories and advices. Thanks!

11-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I was lucky, I was able to build up a really decent kit over several years before Pentax inexplicably became a popular brand. I've picked up some really decent glass for really cheap, and some really good glass for free as well.
I've also paid through the nose for some lenses, but that's part of life when you decide you want something that is both very good and very rare.
11-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
care to give me a little history on pentax lens pricing? I noticed there's like a 200 bucks increase in price from last year from photoprice.ca
11-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have manual 50mm 1.2 from the old days, a sigma 28-80 and a takamur 70-200. I am looking to add a mid-range tele of the 50-135 range, but thats it. I tend to go light, camera and one lens and hop on the mototcycle and go someplace and take pictures. Will probably use the 50-135 the most when I get it.

11-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax was in the business of shooting themselves in the foot by selling their equipment too cheaply for too long. When Hoya took over, things changed on the pricing front and all of a sudden new stuff is pricey, with the consequence that older stuff has also been pushed upwards in value.