Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 04:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pretender Quote
Unfortunately, I know there isn't a perfect 18-300 f2.8 lens...
Such a lens, especially if it had the sharpness of a prime and the compactness of the 18-250, would be a dream come true for a lot of us!

Are you leaning towards more of a tele than a wide angle? I'm packing a Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4.0. It is an older lens and it has servered me well even being more versitle with my DSLRs than with my film cameras. I do lose some on the wide end, but it is faster than some kit lenses and superzooms not to mention very sharp IMO.

11-04-2009, 04:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also dont underestimate 18-55mm in 18-55/55-300 combo.

Yes, the lens is relatively slow, but thats only bad thing about it. In all other aspects it can be deemed as very good performer, especially considering the price.
11-04-2009, 06:08 AM   #18

Thanks for all the replies.
...I'm moving from a 5 year old Panasonic FZ30 that has a 12x F2.8 - F3.7 lens. I really like this lens because its very versatile with the 12x zoom and because is also a fast lens, even at 420mm...

I mentioned the 18-105 lens because I've used one for two day and I really like it, and I was pleased by it's focal range...

One of the option is the the Pentax 18-250...I didn't know that it was discontinued...does anybody knows if there will be a new version?
The problem with this lens is that the it's very slow even at moderate focal length....
I also came from a Panasonic super zoom P&S to DSLR, so I can relate to where you're coming from.

A few points to ponder When considering the speed (max. f-stop) that you will require in a APS-C camera to be comparable to your P&S:

Your FZ30 had a max aperture range of 2.8-3.7. The 35mm equiv. range of the FZ30 is about 35-420mm. To duplicate that in a APS-C camera, you'd need a lens with a range of 23-280mm (approx 1.5x factor of the APS-c sensor vs. 35mm).

Sensor size
FZ-30 is 7.18 x 5.32mm
K-x is 23.6 x 15.8mm- BIGGER

This jump in sensor size from your FZ30 to a APS-C DSLR means this- The K-x will have better bokeh and High ISO performance than the FZ30 even at an aperture that is several stops slower.

In the Nikon 18-105 lens is what you are trying to meet or exceed in a Pentax mount for about the same price, that should be doable. The 18-105 isn't particularly fast either at f/3.5-5.6.

I do agree that it's nice to have a zoom in your kit that can allow you to cover a wide range without packing extra lenses. Some purists will cringe at the thought, but sometimes my photography is a secondary activity and has to fit in to the reality of my life. This means that I either grab a P&S or a DSLR with one lens and one small bag and go. If optimal photo quality above all else is your goal, then neither the 18-105/Nikon combo, nor any other DSLR/ext. range zoom is going to suit your needs.

If you like the Nikon- get it. If you want the K-x with the Sigma 18-125 or Tamron 18-250mm, then get that. I don't think there is going to be a huge difference either way and both combos will still out perfom you FZ30 in bokeh and high ISO quality.
11-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Such a lens, especially if it had the sharpness of a prime and the compactness of the 18-250, would be a dream come true for a lot of us!

Are you leaning towards more of a tele than a wide angle? I'm packing a Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4.0. It is an older lens and it has servered me well even being more versitle with my DSLRs than with my film cameras. I do lose some on the wide end, but it is faster than some kit lenses and superzooms not to mention very sharp IMO.
One of the things I often miss in my FZ30 is the extra mm in the wide angle (37 mm).
Despite this, it seems difficult to find this lens, but I'll look this more carefully.

Thank you for your suggestion.

11-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

but I wouldn't like to lose focal range for now because I'm very used (and my wife to) of having this big focal range.
If you need it all in one lens, the 18-250 is the obvious choice, then. It's the equivalent of 28-375, which is significantly wider at that end, and "almost" as long at that end, as your FZ30. If you don't mind changing lenses - and at some point, you probably just want to get over that reluctance - you can often course have far greater range.

QuoteQuote:
One of the option is the the Pentax 18-250...I didn't know that it was discontinued...does anybody knows if there will be a new version?
No one really knows, but most assume it will be replaced with something eventually. Tamron discontinued because they now make an 18-270, but they don't yet sell that Pentax. They probably will at some point, not there are no guarantees. I do believe the Sigma 18-250 is now available for Pentax, although it's rather annoyingly larger, heavier, and more expensive.

QuoteQuote:
The problem with this lens is that the it's very slow even at moderate focal length.
True, but the K-x is correspondingly *much* better at high ISO than what you are used to from your FZ30. f/6.3 is basically around a stop and a half worse than f/3.7. That means that if you shoot at f/6.3 and ISO 1100, you'll be getting the same shutter speeds you were at f/3.7 and ISO 400. Compare for yourself, but I think you'll find the K-x at ISO 1100 just completely *blows away* the FZ30 at ISO 400. In fact, you can probably expect a picture taken at ISO 3200 or even 6400 on the K-x to look as good if not better than one taken at ISO 400 on the FZ30 (and similarly, ISO 800 or even 1600 on the K-x will probably compare well to ISO 100 on the FZ30, etc). Meaning you'll probably find that in practice, you can actually get better pictures at considerably *faster* shutter speeds on the K-x than you ever could before.

If you want even faster lenses, though, you just have to accept that you aren't going to get that in a superzoom - not for the K-x, and not for *any* DSLR.

QuoteQuote:
Botton of the line, although the 55-300 is a relative good tele zoom, the 18-55 or 16-50 doesn't give me the versatility I was looking for. I was really looking for at least 100mm in the tele zoom.
Again, if you're sure that you'll use the 55- or 70- range so much that you won't be able to stand changing lenses, then the 18-250 becomes the no-brainer choice. But you might want to test that assumption by actually checking the EXIF of your photos from the FZ30 - a lot of people are surprised to find they don't actually shoot telephoto nearly as often as they thought they did. Or that when they do, they tend to *stay* telephoto for extended periods, so there wouldn't be as much lens changing between an 18-55 and a 55-300 as they thought there would be.
11-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you need it all in one lens, the 18-250 is the obvious choice, then. It's the equivalent of 28-375, which is significantly wider at that end, and "almost" as long at that end, as your FZ30. If you don't mind changing lenses - and at some point, you probably just want to get over that reluctance - you can often course have far greater range.

No one really knows, but most assume it will be replaced with something eventually. Tamron discontinued because they now make an 18-270, but they don't yet sell that Pentax. They probably will at some point, not there are no guarantees. I do believe the Sigma 18-250 is now available for Pentax, although it's rather annoyingly larger, heavier, and more expensive.

True, but the K-x is correspondingly *much* better at high ISO than what you are used to from your FZ30. f/6.3 is basically around a stop and a half worse than f/3.7. That means that if you shoot at f/6.3 and ISO 1100, you'll be getting the same shutter speeds you were at f/3.7 and ISO 400. Compare for yourself, but I think you'll find the K-x at ISO 1100 just completely *blows away* the FZ30 at ISO 400. In fact, you can probably expect a picture taken at ISO 3200 or even 6400 on the K-x to look as good if not better than one taken at ISO 400 on the FZ30 (and similarly, ISO 800 or even 1600 on the K-x will probably compare well to ISO 100 on the FZ30, etc). Meaning you'll probably find that in practice, you can actually get better pictures at considerably *faster* shutter speeds on the K-x than you ever could before.

If you want even faster lenses, though, you just have to accept that you aren't going to get that in a superzoom - not for the K-x, and not for *any* DSLR.

Again, if you're sure that you'll use the 55- or 70- range so much that you won't be able to stand changing lenses, then the 18-250 becomes the no-brainer choice. But you might want to test that assumption by actually checking the EXIF of your photos from the FZ30 - a lot of people are surprised to find they don't actually shoot telephoto nearly as often as they thought they did. Or that when they do, they tend to *stay* telephoto for extended periods, so there wouldn't be as much lens changing between an 18-55 and a 55-300 as they thought there would be.
It doesn't have to be only one lens...actually I was thinking on buying two lenses. As I said the problem is not the 100mm> range...I think the 55-300 is a good choice (and there are other good options also).

The number of times that I think I will using the 55> or 70> range is a very good point...actually I didn't do any scientific study, but I really believe that the a 18-105 or something identical, would be ideal. I also used a Nikon with the 18-105mm lens for 3 days and I got the impression that the focal range offered by this lenses I was pleased with it's focal range.

The options I'm thinking are:

-Pentax SMC-DA 17-70mm f/4
-Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
-Sigma AF 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6

and go along with the:
-Pentax SMC-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8
-or maybe some other option....
11-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The fz30 was my first foray into the semi-serious camera arena. Since then I have owned at some point, an istDL, istDS, K10d, and now K20d and K-x. To put it mildly, whatever you decide on getting will blow it out of the water. I upgraded to the istDL from the fz30 and was genuinely excited at its' output over the fz30 - and that was 3 years ago (at least!) with Pentax's lowest entry level body (ever.)

I would have put the iso400 on the fz30 into the 'useable in a pinch' category. With the K-x, iso 6400 almost escapes that category into useable most of the time, and even 12800 makes it into the pinch category easily. You will also discover the real meaning of DOF - even if you did end up getting a single superzoom like the 18-250 lens, there is still a great deal more DOF control than with, well any point and shoot.

Unless you are willing to spend $1200+ on the 60-250mm f4 (or sigma 100-300 f4), the 55-300 is easily a winner in terms of range and quality. It is quite sharp even wide open, and the slightly wider 55mm end does make it fairly easy to use as a walk-around option. Of course you still would want a wide angle - I would go with one of the 17-70 you have listed(both also receive alot of praise, though I have never used either myself).

Anyway, just my 2 cents!