Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #1

k20d waterproof?

Hi.

Was wondering "how" waterproof the k20d is, it says in the catalouge that its water seald. But how much? Can i take it out if its raining?

11-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Its Weather-Sealed, not "Waterproof"

Pentax does not claim that the K20D is waterproof. That implies that it can be dunked completely underwater.

What they DO claim is that it is weather-sealed. All of the openings have rubber gaskets or some other form of seal that reduces the possibility of water or dust entering the camera. It does not guarantee to eliminate all possible water/dust infiltration. Big difference.

Note, also, that it is only completely weather-sealed when used with weather-sealed lenses. That includes all the DA* lenses and the new WR lenses, supplied as kit lenses for the K-x.

Can you take it out in the rain? Probably, but use a little common sense. If the rain has been given a name, you should probably keep it inside. I have a K10D, the K20D's predecessor, which has, essentially the same weather-seals. I don't avoid using the camera in the rain, even though I don't have a WR lens. If the rain is too heavy, I hold it under my coat, or at least hold it facing down, so that any water will hit the back, which is sealed and run off the lens, which is not. When not actually shooting, I do the same.
11-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It means it won't be warrantied if you submerge it in water or subject it to high pressure water, but everything else is good and encouraged. People have shot in all kinds of weather conditions and non-weather conditions:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/76095-people-jello-fight.html

You can find videos of youtube where they take their camera into the shower:
YouTube - PENTAX K7 Sales Pitch in the shower!

taking it out in the rain:
YouTube - Rain and Rain - Pentax K-7

Pentax booths are known for emptying water bottles over their equipment with pride.
Official Pentax mini-ad:
YouTube - PENTAX K-7 Weather Sealing

However, make sure you have a DA* or WR lens. Those are the only lenses that are weathersealed. The LTD pancakes are not all sealed, unfortunately, only the DA* pancakes.
11-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
It means it won't be warrantied if you submerge it in water or subject it to high pressure water, but everything else is good and encouraged. People have shot in all kinds of weather conditions and non-weather conditions:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/76095-people-jello-fight.html

You can find videos of youtube where they take their camera into the shower:
YouTube - PENTAX K7 Sales Pitch in the shower!

taking it out in the rain:
YouTube - Rain and Rain - Pentax K-7

Pentax booths are known for emptying water bottles over their equipment with pride.
Official Pentax mini-ad:
YouTube - PENTAX K-7 Weather Sealing

However, make sure you have a DA* or WR lens. Those are the only lenses that are weathersealed. The LTD pancakes are not all sealed, unfortunately, only the DA* pancakes.
Wow, this was the first time I watched a Pentax getting a shower, there are lots of interesting Pentax videos out there at YT.

11-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Also, check out this ad video of the K-7:

YouTube - ??? ??????? ???????: ??????
11-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been in rain and snow with my K10D without problems. The weather sealing seems to work very good but I am never deliberately reckless. If I know its going to rain I make sure I have a cover of some sort. Cold snow isn't to much of an issue but warmer, wet snow I treat as rain. I feel confidant I can use my camera the same way I used my manual film cameras.
11-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mew Quote
Hi.

Was wondering "how" waterproof the k20d is, it says in the catalouge that its water seald. But how much? Can i take it out if its raining?
I've had my K10D out in downpours with the kit lens, no problems. I'd have no reluctance to do the same with my K20D only I might have a DA* 200 mounted.

11-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I have used a K20D and recently a K-7 in the rain at airshows here in the UK and have suffered no problems at all with the weather sealing so I am confident that they work.

In fact at the last show I was at we had a bit of a downpour and I was surrounded by other camera owners who swiftly put theirs undercover and stared at me probably wondering why I wasn't that concerned!

That was a K-7 by the way and there have been no problems.
11-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have shot in some pretty heavy weather with K10/20 and DA* lenses. I think that they can take the abuse better than I can. At the same time, as mentioned above, don't be silly. Giving your camera a bath on a regular basis will lead to the seals breaking down and trust me, electronics and water don't mix.
11-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's water resistant but it's not water proof, not even a Sea Dweller is water proof although it can go down 4,000 feet in the ocean.
11-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #11

Although the camera may be weatherproof and water resistant, how about the lens? Are all lenses built to be weatherproof?
11-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khaz0r Quote
Although the camera may be weatherproof and water resistant, how about the lens? Are all lenses built to be weatherproof?

No, most Pentax lenses are NOT weather sealed. Only the DA* lenses and the new WR kit lenses included with the K-x, are weather sealed.
11-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax bodies and lenses will be advertised as WR. That should eliminate the guesswork.
11-05-2009, 05:37 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Note, also, that it is only completely weather-sealed when used with weather-sealed lenses. That includes all the DA* lenses and the new WR lenses, supplied as kit lenses for the K-x.
I think that you meant to say "K-7", not " K-x". The K-x is supplied with the DAL lenses- the lightweight lenses with the plastic mount and no inc. hood. The K-7, on the other hand, is often bundled with the WR lenses.
11-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
Inactive Account

took mine out the other day in a heavy downpour.. no problems other than a fogged up lens.. oh and I didnt even realize that my 50mm 2.8 M lens was on the sucker til I got home. I didnt see any water on the mount and we were out there for at least a couple hours. yup!