Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Yeah baby! I just ordred my new Pentax K-7!

Man! I cant wait to get my hands ont this baby and play around. I know for sure that the learning curve will be steep, but I'm pretty shure Im up to it! This is better than Christmas at chilhood!

Now all i need is a lens (or a couple of them).

BTW, I got it for 1026$, not bad I think?

11-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #2

Original Poster
Just bought a new K-7!

Yeah! Now i need a good multy purpose first lens for familly, vacations and work (architecture-construction) usage. Looking at Sigma 17-70 ; comments and/or suggestions?

Any other recommeded accessories for starting my new DSLR career (filters, 2nd battery, grip, flash, etc...)?

By the way, a very greatful thanks to all who have replied to my post so far. Your comments have been invaluable to me. Hope I get to give as goog advice ont this site enventually...
11-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that is a damn good deal, mind if I ask where you get it? Is it from the US or Canadian? Please PM me if you don't want to disclose the information in the public.

I am sure you will enjoy the k-7. I also wanted the k-7 to replace my k10 and hoping the price will drop a bit further before pulling the trigger. The video feature would be a good feature to have when needed.

Please share some wonderful shots with us.
11-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #4

I just got my K7 in the mail today. I'm looking through the manual and charging the battery for the first time right now!

My kit lens won't arrive for a couple of days, so I'm going to have to have a little patience.

11-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats - to both of you.
Sigma's 17-70 is fine, but may not be wide enough for shooting architecture/buildings. You may need to go with 2 lenses - unfortunately the ultrawide lenses aren't cheap. Something like a Sigma 10-20 is probably the cheapest in the range, other than the DA 14 (but is a prime lens).
If 17mm is wide enough, you may even be happy with the Pentax DA 17-70 or Tamron 17-50 - both are reasonably cheap compared with the DA* 16-50.
11-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 is also not a bad wide-angle, and may even be cheaper than the Sigma, depending where you look.
11-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can you borrow a friends lens to see what you like? It really depends on the focal length and the style of your photography. The K7 is terrific with takumars and it is tailored for DA glass. If you are looking for that first single starter zoom....I was very happy with the DA16-45 (I ordered it rather than the kit lens when I bought my first Pentax dslr). For your work, the 12-24 is a very good choice but a little more pricey.

I rarely shoot with a zoom and usually use "K"s or Takumar's, but it's not for everyone...

Buy a second battery....that way you can always let one run dry before swapping....they last forever that way. Next I would buy a tripod, then something to carry it in (small that you can carry it over your shoulder, but you might prefer a larger bag)

I would buy some software (Adobe) before getting filters (although I use filters...you still need software first)

Let us know how you make out.....

Last edited by SteveM; 11-03-2009 at 11:08 PM.
11-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Congrats dude, I received my K-7 last week and I love it so far, the low light AF has greatly improved and the high ISO performance is definitely a improvement over my K2000, though it may not be as good as the K-x. You'll love this baby a lot more due to it's more solid body, you'll definitely feel it when you just picked up your camera when it's cold; you can definitely feel the surge of quality through your hand when that magnesium alloy is cold! I see a lot of people on this forum who have upgraded to a K-7 lately, at this price it's not a surprise.

11-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your purchase, that is a *Very* good price if it's in CAN$.

As I wrote in another thread, the Sigma 17-70 is a great choice for a starter lens.

For architecture/construction, you will probably want a wider lens, however. My 1st recommendation is the DA12-24, but its price is just insane now (1200 CAN$). Maybe you can find a used one for a decent price. Otherwise, the Sigma 10-20 will do almost as well (its distortion at very wide angles is reportedly harder to correct) for much less money.

The only filter I would start with is a UV or "clear" filter to protect the lens when you're shooting outdoors or in windy/dusty conditions (eg. beach, construction site).

I don't think you really need a 2nd battery, but that depends on how many shots you take for your job. In nearly 4 years, I can't remember one time I even came close to running out of juice with only one. Naturally, I take the charger with me on trips, and recharge during the night if I have shot a lot during the day.
11-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give your personal input.

Answers or commensts to above posts and questions asked:

.1 Bought it at Berger Bros. Camera via Ebay auction;

.2 The price is in USD and includes a 2Gb SD card, a Promaster Deluxe Care Kit,
Promaster Mini Tripod, Promaster Camera bag and Promaster 2GB CF Memory Card
I'm don't have very high expectations for the Promaster accessories, but for starters
I guess they won't be too bad. All in all, I think it's a good deal.

.3 I only have money for one "good" lens for starters since I went overbudget on the camera
to get eventual maximum customisation, better build, two LCDd better quality rear LCD and
video (initially, i was going for the K20). I am priorising everyday lens and will eventully buy
in to a good wide angle and, if I feel I need it through usage of the camera, a small
telephoto, up to maybe 250 or 300. So, Sigma 17-70 seems an ideal range vs quality (plus
pseudo macro). Is the pentax 17-70 Da a better lens (worth the extra $). And do other
third party lens companies have lenses with similar range and quality?

.4 Second battery sounds good..I,ll look into that.....Always a shame to stop shooting cuz
you don't have any juice left...

.5 SMC, (or anyone else) why don't you use zoom lenses. Seems to mes they give more
options, but you lose IQ I think? Right?

.6 Filters...hummmm, other than for protection from "windy/dusty conditions (eg. beach,
construction site)" do I need UV filter or polrisation? and if so, to what end, and are there
better filters (like say Hoya?)

Even If i have a bag in my kit, I'started to look aroud for a bag. The LowePro SlingShot 100 or 200 seems interesting. Anyone have esperienca with thes bags? I'm tepted with the 100, but wondering if it's too small...?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm a question asking kind of guy ( and eventually, I will become an answer giving one...)

Thanks again!
11-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would go with the 200 for the bag. I have it, and it holds a LOT of stuff, and is not HUGE.
11-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You got a great deal their.Enjoy your new toy!