Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #1

Where to purchase Pentax Product

I am finally moving into the dslr world from the old K1000. It's been a while, but I can't find Pentax ANYWHERE in the Atlanta, GA area for purchase. Wolf Camera only sells online. I called every camera shop in the Metro Atlanta area, none of the stores sells products. One dealer told me that Pentax went to selling online for the most part.
I know that several places offer free shipping. I want to feel, see, and practice shoot the dslr before I plunk down $600 plus on a camera. I also want to see the person eye to eye that I deal with. This way, if there is a problem, I can meet with that individual. Call me old fashioned, but I wanna' feel it before the purchase. When I called Pentax on this, they told me to check their website, yet none of the viders listed carried their product. Any tips?

11-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #2

No place here carries Pentax either.
Reputable online sellers will deal with problems quickly and efficiently.

I ordered from BH, for price, reputation, and return policy. No regrets.
Although, maybe next time, a trip to New York would be fun!
11-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I had the same problem. There is really only one chain of camera stores in northern Ohio, Dodd camera. When I visited the store near my house and asked for Pentax, I was simply told- no dice.

Later on, I just happened top be downtown and stopped by the main store. Low and behold! they have a bunch of Pentax gear in stock! They are a dealer, but they don't show up on the Pentax website. Either the guy at the other branch didn't know this OR he was hoping to get a commision on selling me another brand that was in stock at his branch.

Anyhow call each and every camera store (and every branch) in the phone book before giving up on finding a local source if that is important to you.
11-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

In my city in Western Canada..I buy and can buy Pentax DSLR's and pretty well all lenses at :
  • 2 chains of a large Western Canadian Drug Store, with a large camera dept.
  • Two large camera stores of a big Canadian chain
  • Three large stores of a large Western Canadian Camera chain
  • One large independent camera store

I've bought since Nov. 2007:
  1. Pentax K10D
  2. Pentax 16-45
  3. Pentax 360 Flash
  4. Pentax battery grip and extra battery for a K10D
  5. Pentax remote control unit
  6. Pentax 55-300 zoom
  7. Pentax 50 F1.4
  8. Pentax KM body with 18-55 lens
  9. Pentax 10-17 mm fisheye lens

All the equipment was there at the different stores, exception 50 F1.4...they had a rush on them for Xmas. It came in after 2 days...shipped from another of their stores.

I went in, asked to see, tried them out at the store...bought them...each transaction took about 15 minutes.

I have bought pretty well from each store.

What is happening in the states ?

11-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #5

Have you tried http://www.keh.com/ ? They have a retail store in Atlanta.
11-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Buddy of mine just picked up a Canon T1i because he was unable to find a K-x in a pinch. Costco was clearing out the single lens bundle and with his rewards check, it was hard to beat on pricing. He was actually interested in the K-x but was unable to find it locally anywhere in Honolulu, unfortunately.
11-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
I could not recommend KEH more. I got my K10 there used, and it's trouble free. It you do not want what's in stock, wait a bit and more will appear

11-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #8

I would also recommend KEH. You're luck to have them there in Atlanta.

I would highly recommend Amazon if only for their 30-day no-hassle return policy. I am almost embarrassed by how much stuff I've returned over the years. You can purchase a piece of gear, give it a thorough tryout and then decide if you'd like to return it all for just the cost of return shipping. I know people have had negative experiences with Amazon, but they're my first choice whenever possible.
11-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't know if you have Fry's electronics in Atlanta, but they carry Pentax. As far as I can tell, they are the only place in southern California that carries them! Of course the mom and pop camera store has gone the way of the Dodo around here, so maybe you will have better luck.
11-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtneye Quote
I am finally moving into the dslr world from the old K1000. It's been a while, but I can't find Pentax ANYWHERE in the Atlanta, GA area for purchase. Wolf Camera only sells online. I called every camera shop in the Metro Atlanta area, none of the stores sells products. One dealer told me that Pentax went to selling online for the most part.
I know that several places offer free shipping. I want to feel, see, and practice shoot the dslr before I plunk down $600 plus on a camera. I also want to see the person eye to eye that I deal with. This way, if there is a problem, I can meet with that individual. Call me old fashioned, but I wanna' feel it before the purchase. When I called Pentax on this, they told me to check their website, yet none of the viders listed carried their product. Any tips?
do not be discouraged, mtneye. I actually ran into the same thing around here when i started looking for a local camera store that sells Pentax...(see this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/56029-first-time-camera-s...ny-pentax.html )
Come to think of it, i have yet to buy a single piece of gear from any physical store...nearly all my stuff has come from craigslist, eBay, and Pentax forumites. True, it is nice to feel it first, and receive the customary salesperson commentary...but after my failed attempts at finding a dealer, i am fine just buying used.
i know that may not directly support Pentax, so one day i hope to buy a new camera outfit and do it up right.
11-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I don't know if you have Fry's electronics in Atlanta, but they carry Pentax. As far as I can tell, they are the only place in southern California that carries them! Of course the mom and pop camera store has gone the way of the Dodo around here, so maybe you will have better luck.
say what?! Fry's has Pentax? I have looked through the camera aisle at my local Fry's and never saw this, but i will check again. that is cool.
11-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #12

Original Poster
You people have been most gracious and helpful. I truely appreciate all of your input.
Richard.
11-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am from Atlanta, and I bought my Pentax from Frys, the one on 85-N.

cheers
11-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Honestly buy from here, in the marketplace. I get everything here outside of expensive lenses as they hold their value so much you may as well buy new. But bodies and slowish zooms ... buy them here. You can get a 20D for $500 ..... holy smokes.
11-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
Inactive Account

KEH's FAQ says there is no retail store to walk into.
http://www.keh.com/help.aspx#pe3