Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

HOW????????

How do the pros get such awesome candid shots? Other than a client in the studio I mean. I feel really weird just asking people to take their picture, and it always seems to make the whole experience awkrard and personally suffocating. Also, if I'm just using natural light how do I optimize this? I have a flash but no sync cord and just tend to get the "happy snap" camera effect...like it looks like it was taken with a disposable.

Or do I simply need to shoot more rolls of film and hope out of some 300 frames I get something good? haha

So how do you folks do it?

Thanks for any help!

11-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Same as any other picture, composition, subject and exposure.
11-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

And loads of practice so you can quickly use the different techniques in the right moment.
You need to work on the mentality as well, and as usual it can be acheived with practice. After a while it's not as awkward.
I'm guessing you're shooting film since you mentioned that. If you want to cheat a little, you can practice with a digital P&S for composition (apart from DOF). Exposing correctly might be trickier.

Do you bounce your flash? It helps remove the headlights from the car before impact feeling.
If you have two flashes and at least one of them can be set as a slave you can mount one on the camera on the lowest setting and the other you can hold in your hand.

In short, there are lots of tips and tricks and you just have to learn them.
11-05-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do candids with my K20D and DA*16-50mm F2.8 lens. If you are familiar with the camera and lens, and if a good opportunity comes up just grab the camera and fire away.

I normally get 8 out of 10 shots that are usuable.

Cheers...

11-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations! You've identified something you can work on...not many are as aware of their own potential as you are.

Intentionally pursue exactly the stuff that makes you "feel really weird"
because that's a personal weakness you can deal with...criticize yourself when you feel comfortable making a photograph, congratulate yourself when you scare yourself.

.... that specific character issue is the reason hobbiests photograph nature and "graphics" and bugs/birds rather than the adults they meet.

I've been intentionally struggling with the same personal character issue for at least a half dozen years...it's paying off bigtime.

Use one prime lens....zoom with your feet if you want to get closer to subjects ...don't be tempted to fiddle with zooms: I rely mostly on 35/2.8, though its autofocus can hunt in some light.

In other words, keep it simple and keep it human. You can make it complicated later...then you'll want lots of extra technology and your work will go to heck.

Last edited by janosh; 11-05-2009 at 02:17 PM.
11-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's practice,trial and error and don't give in if you get frustrated with it all.Push ahead.That's the beauty of digital.You can take as many pictures as your heart desire,and make adjustments on the spot without having to wait for a roll of film to be developed and looked over.