Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Note: This is a fair closeup, at good shooting and light angle. Fungus could be barely visible on the lens by naked eye. Severe fungus at more common magnification might look different.

This image is taken after several failed tries to clean the fungus with ethanol, acetone, gas lighter benzin and water.
Is that between two elements? I'm kind of surprised you aren't able to remove it. I've seen fungus leave a trace as though it's etched itself into the coatings but never this type that couldn't be removed.

03-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Is that between two elements? I'm kind of surprised you aren't able to remove it. I've seen fungus leave a trace as though it's etched itself into the coatings but never this type that couldn't be removed.

Nope, its on the surface on a single element. As far as i can tell it's even on the surface of coating (instead of having etched inside of it).

Currently i've found out that the chemicals i listed don't work on fungus. I've heard that some people have had success by washing the lens in hot water and cleaning with dish washer and chlorine.

I'd be afraid to do this on any modern or very old and fragile coatings, but it might be a good try for a cheap, old, soviet m42 lens.
03-31-2010, 02:06 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Dish washer?

What is the coating on the lens that may come off in a dish washer? Pardon my ignorance.

James
03-31-2010, 04:47 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Have you got any Colgate or similiar toothpaste? A little water on the lens element and a dab of toothpaste on your thumb. Rub the fungus area, it always works for me. Toothpaste has a detergent in it, along with a super fine polish agent.

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad.
Toothpaste will not harm coatings on a Pentax lens, old or new. The coating is many times harder than what is in the toothpaste. If the grit had any cutting ability, your teeth would have been cut to nubs years ago. I have checked lens elements after this with a scope, and have never found any marks.

07-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crap! I have an expensive Sigma EX 70-200 lens that I sent in once for lens fungus. It cost $300 to fix. I was looking at it tonight, and it is back. It was repaired aver five years ago.
07-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by metaglypto Quote
Crap! I have an expensive Sigma EX 70-200 lens that I sent in once for lens fungus. It cost $300 to fix. I was looking at it tonight, and it is back. It was repaired aver five years ago.
Are you gonna try the toothpaste trick? If you do can you do a before and after shot? I hope it works!
07-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
People often mention that Ponds cream is very effective on fungus, on the UK forum.