Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How to choose the lens for my K-7?

Hi All,

Recently I got a fever and bought in many lenses for my K-7 like crazy. I won't keep all of them but can't make up my mind on which ones to be sold. Here's a tentative list and pls comment.

Keepers: DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA 55-300, FA 43 1.9, DA 70 2.4
To sell: DA 16-45, another FA 43 1.9
Can't decide: FA 50 1.4, D FA 50 2.8 macro or DA 35 2.8 macro

I can keep 6-8 of them but will prefer 6, so that I can make a 7-item-team for my K-7!

Thank you very much!
Tony

11-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really don't have an answer to your question, all I can say is, the FA43/1.9 is certainly a great lens to be bought several times over, but I can't believe you actually did it
11-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone is going to have their own opinion, based on their personal uses. Personally, I find I hardly ever use a 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 (I have M versions of both), and rarely use the 77 Ltd (though I love the lens and won't part with it). So I'd sell the FA 50 1.4, even though it's an excellent lens. I do shoot a great deal of macro so I'd keep one of the macros, probably the 50 because it allows you to be a little further away. I don't actually own either one - I have a 105mm macro lens, which is great for my needs.

I'm sure that those who shoot mostly indoors and don't like macro will give you the opposite advice.
11-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi pcarfan,

For the FA 43, it is really an interesting story. I actually made mistakes on eBaying them. The first one is an old (#000***) silver, but in unbelivable good condition. I really love the finishing. The second one is a newer black (#00***), also mint condition but the finishing is not stella. It is just like the two DA's I bought, but with better cosmetic condition.

What is interesting is that the two is different in the aperture. The silver one cannot fully open with aperture ring to 1.9, and both has a smaller auto aperture (controlled by body) than "ring" aperture. The black one is brighter than the old silver, which I prefer.

BTW, I found on some lens the glass part is a little loose to the mount part, which means you can move it a little using hand without rotation of any ring. Will that affect autofocus?

Thank you very much,
Tony

11-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tony, I remember a thread a while back discussing the possible differnces between the new and older stock FA limiteds. I know currently you can gte both silver and black in new stock, so it's not just the color differnece (I think you know this). But, AFAIK, both types should have a 1.9 on the aperture ring, if not this is news to me, and you may want to post pictures of the differnece here. RE: the loose front, You know these have a screw in lens hood, so the front part when you pull the meatl lens cap out is the lens hood, which can be unscrewed, so if it feels loose, then it might just be unscrewed a bit.

I will keep all your lenses, shoot with them ,learn their behaviour and then sell them. every lens is unique, and it takes time to learn eacj lens at their best, not to mention your skills improving witn them. So, if I were you, I will enjoy all your lenses for a while, and when you know which ones you can live without, put them up for sale here in the marketplace.
11-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi pcarfan,

Yes of course they both have 1.9, but what I meant is the actual opening of the diaphragms. If you disassemble any mordern Pentax lens, you can see the tick controlling the auto aperture can be fine adjusted. I believe this give the tolerance of each individual lens.

As for the loose front, it is the glass part relative to the mounted part, not the hood. The FA ltd is OK but my DA 70 and 16-45 suffer a little. I can even feel it in the viewfinder. Fortunately, the camera refocuses after that so hopefully it won't affect the real focus.

Thanks,
Tony
11-06-2009, 05:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I would probably get rid of both 50s and keep the DA 35. You have the 43 and the 70 in your keeper pile. The 50 is somewhere between them and I personally don't pull my 50 out much at all because I have the DA 40 and 70. The 35 is a little wider and has the added benefit of macro capability, but the real question is what you think works for you.

11-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fulcrumx29 Quote
Keepers: DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA 55-300, FA 43 1.9, DA 70 2.4
To sell: DA 16-45, another FA 43 1.9
Can't decide: FA 50 1.4, D FA 50 2.8 macro or DA 35 2.8 macro
What you're doing looks good to me. I don't think you need the FA 50mm. The 43mm is fast enough for low light and the 70mm is a nicer portrait length. I know people rave about the DA 35's rendering, but really, the DA 16-50 is very strong at 35mm and just as fast.

I like shooting macros. Subject distance is a concern because I often shoot insects. I tried a 35mm Ltd and for 1:1 macro I was virtually touching the subject. I don't imagine the 50mm macro would be a lot better, so my move would be to sell off the "can't decide" list and get a D FA 100mm macro.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-06-2009 at 07:00 AM.
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks all,

It seems the best solution now is to follow Rondeck's suggestion and wait some time to upgrade as audiobomber suggested. :-)

Cheers,
Tony