Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What have been left out of the discussion so far is composition. During day time, the Sun high in the sky, by all probability you will have it somewhere in the image frame as a nice bright star as an add-on to a wide-angle shot or similar. Thus the danger to camera and eye is tiny, if you don't need minutes to compose the shot.

Longer tele lenses will usually only come into play at sunrise or sunset, to get a nice big glowing Sun ball disappearing at the horizon... This is usally not a dangeraous situation at all, except perhaps at very high elevation under exceptionally clear sky. At sunset and sunrise you are taking images with more than 100 km of atmosperic extinction between the Sun's orb and your camera. That's a pretty good filter. If the Sun is still a couple of degrees above the horizon it will be very bright, but in the vicinity of the horizon, when it is nearly touching it, the brightness goes down rapidly - and so does any danger.

Ben

11-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My long tele's are f8 wide open so it is a darker image anyway. The few seconds looking through that lens is probably less harmful to our eyes than that 1/2 hour commute I was stuck with when I worked days. In the winter months I was driving straight into the morning sun the whole trip and 2 of the traffic lights I had to deal with would all but disappear.

I have always loved sunset shots. One of the first I remember was that great scene in the classic surf movie "The Endless Summer" with the setting sun sinking into the ocean. I destroyed about 10 rolls of 620 film trying to duplicate that with my Kodak. Now that I'm almost 60 I'm at least thinking about what I may be doing to my eyesight in trying those shots. For years, I never gave it a thought.
11-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sun images the 1960's way

To take images of the sun, or other potentially eye damaging bright lights, we looked at an image projected by the eyepiece onto bright white paper.
11-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
probably won't get many posts here from the opposition...they couldn't see this thread.

11-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Not necessarily. What is really dangerous early/late in the day is the fact that we can't see the U.V. light, but, since the light level is lower, we might think it is safe to look at the sun for longer period of time. It is kind of like a solar eclipse. Because the light level is low, some people think it is safe to look at the sun without protecting ones eyes. But the U.V. radiation is almost as strong as when there is no eclipse.

I hope that makes sense to you.
Thanks for the info

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Lens flare usually happens when the sun hits the sensor at an angle as has been mentioned, but it can shooting directly into it, like this

Sometimes it works well

Using an GND filter helps, like here

Cool shots, what is the second one ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Two quick images of the Sun, taken with a telescope and a ND3.8 Baader-Planetarium filter in front.

1. shows the whole Sun as a disk

Ben
Wild shot !

Last edited by Jonson PL; 11-10-2009 at 01:31 PM.