Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Buying international - what are the costs?

Hope I'm posting this in the right place ; Damn Brit got me yesterday..

I am looking hard everywhere to get a good price for my next lens. I have a couple of options (all price references are un canadian dollars (1 cad = ± 93 usd);

.1 Buy local, in store : we're talking about 530$ plus13.5% taxes so thats ±600$

.2 Buy on web ; best price found, in US, at 340$. Heres where I'm at a loss:

a) Are the same taxes I pay on local buys alson appliable to a product bought
via internet in the US?

b) Will I have to pay any taxes to the US our state where I bought the item?
If so how do I evaluate the amout?

c) Do I have to pay import taxes or duty taxes? If so how do I evaluate the amout?

d) There is a shipping fee, but thats straight foward and easy to factor in.

e) Any other fees that I have not compiled?

.3 Buy used. I have one used lens that fits rignt in to my needs. But its in the US,
so I am again at a loss:

a) Do I pay taxes on an item bought from a particular (not a store) for used goods?

i) If so are the same taxes I pay on local buys alson appliable to a product bought
via internet in the US from a particular?

ii) Will I have to pay any taxes to the US our state where I bought the item?
If so how do I evaluate the amout?

b) Do I have to pay import taxes or duty taxes? If so how do I evaluate the amout?

d) There is a shipping fee, but thats straight foward and easy to factor in.

e) Any other fees that I have not compiled?

My main fear is buying on internet or from a particular and winding up with the item being as expensieve, or worst, more expensive, than a local buy.

So I need input from you Canadian pentaxians who have walked the road....

11-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No Duties on Camera Gear

mba,

There are no duties on camera gear, and you are not charged state taxes on the item. However, you are still subject to local taxes (HST in your case) and depending on how the item is shipped a brokerage fee by the courier company. Trying jumping on Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canadians - photoprice.ca for a comparison and look at one of the US companies price and detailed breakdown for an idea of what the difference in cost is.

My personal experience is that some of the Canadian dealers that are online or ebay provide very competitive pricing and then you are then a little better supported by the manufacturer for warranty work (although pentax does offer a 1yr international warranty).

The used market is also a very good place to look. Montreal in particular has a very active used market on kijiji where you can often find a good deal.
11-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have the goods shipped via USPS, not UPS or FedEx. FedEx and (especially) UPS will nail you with exorbitant custom charges. Shipping with USPS (United States Postal Service) will take probably one more day for the goods to be delivered, but the odds are you won't be charge with custom brokerage fees.

Every time I received goods via UPS, I was charge the horrendous brokerage fees ($72.00 on a $140.00 purchase, once), but never got brokerage fees with USPS.
11-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
My camera is shipped throught USPS.

11-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mba1971 Quote
Hope I'm posting this in the right place ; Damn Brit got me yesterday..
This is fine If you're not sure in future, post in Everything Else and a mod will move it if necessary.
11-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks fot the info