Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k200d or a k20, need help

newbie looking for some in put, going from film to dslr and seems like from what i've read the k200d would be an easier transition, kind of narrowed it down to the k200 or a k20, any in -put on lenses for shooting grand kids and out doors would be appreciated also,thanks

11-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K20D is the better camera overall. I can't think of any respect in which the K200D would make for an "easier transition" from film. The only reasons to get the K200D would be if you dislike the larger size / greater weight of the K20D, if you dislike proprietary Li-Ion batteries, or if you do a lot of very long exposures and have your own means of doing noise reduction and would prefer tobe able to turn off the in-camera "dark frame subtraction" (google it if you're unfamiliar). If you've got older manual lenses you'd like to use, the K20D has the better viewfinder makign focusing easier, but metering can be more more erratic with those older lenses on the K20D than it is with the K200D, so that's probably a wash.

As for lenses, I'd say start with the 18-55 that is practically given away with the camera and go on from there as you discover the ways in which you'd like to expand - maybe soemthing longer, and/or something with a larger maximum aperture for use in low light.
11-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome. There's lots of info here for you. Searching for your questions will provide you with more info than you might want. There are quite a few who have asked the same recently.
IMO, the K200 is great and very capable and the K20 is even better, albeit a little more complicated to use. You can of course use them both like a P&S and get decent results, so either would work for the transition from film while you learn the finer points of usage.
Whichever you get, I suggest read and understand the user manual, search here for what confuses you and then post for help in necessary.

gl
11-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #4

I have just switched from film to digital and bought a k200. i've used it only one day but am very happy about the choice. to me the deciding factor was price. 250EUR for an almost new (shutter count 1400) against 550eur typical price for a used k20 in europe.
what I like is the k200 is smaller and lighter but it retains all manual controls I need.
as a lens i've bought a used 28mm 2.8 for 50eur which is great because I get quickly familiar with all settings and menu. as soon as I have the money I'll buy a sigma or tamron 10-24 and the pentax 16-50.
I have to say that if I keep on enjoying shooting full manual I might go for other old primes as there are plenty and cheap

11-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

Coming from an underwhelming C*n*n DSLR I had the same dilemma. I actually ordered both a K200D and K20D online as refurbs. As soon as I got a sense of the size and weight of the K20D, it went back. As the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you. I knew that the K200D would be more likely to travel with me. (I imagine the K2000D or K-x would travel even better.) Considering all of the tradeoffs, the K200D was an excellent choice for me.
11-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
to each their own...

I had both a DS (slightly smaller in size to a K200D) and K20D and have brought them both on my travels hiking. However I found that when reaching for a camera, I always grabbed the K20D to work with. Having immediate control over most of my shooting parameters was important to me.

With the DS I found that I'd often want to make an adjustment and have to delve through menus which really interrupted my workflow. Comes down to what you put a priority on. Some people like a smaller body (as do I), but I'm not willing to compromise ergonomics and control for it. K-7 has proved very capable in this respect, but I'm almost finding the controls a bit cramped on a body of its size and often find myself accidentally pressing the wrong button. I'll give it some more time to see if I adjust, but it may just have to go on the market...
11-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
There's a lot of good advice already, but overwhelmingly more important is what features matter to you:

Weight and size?
Resolution?
More customisability?
More one-step controls?

But to me by far and away the most important is what lens you put on the camera.

11-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for all replies, this seems to be one of the more friendly forums as compared to some others i checked, just wish some local stores carried pentax dslr's, would be a big plus.
11-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you can afford it,go for the K20.In the long run you'll probably be alot happier with all the overall features of the K20 to the K200.Not saying that the K200 is a bad camera.Personally,I like a bit of weight in a camera,and the K20 has that.
11-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
rkt

The Pentax 18-250mm (or the Tamron version) is a good versatile lens that you may want to consider. It gives you a very wide range and good image quality ... and makes for a nice 'jack of all trades" combination with either of the two bodies you are considering ...

As for the camera bodies... you may want to look at the following link for a side by side comparison between the two ... and then see which aspects are more important for you ...

Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 2 cameras: Digital Photography Review

This site has pretty detailed reviews of both the cameras as well...