Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #1

Newbie asking advice.

I have been lurking for a couple of days checking things out and this place seams to be a pretty good bunch of folks.

I need some advice on an outfit I have almost decided to purchase.

K2000 w/18/55 lense kit
AF540 flash
Remote control F
F5P extension cord
Hotshoe adapter F
some sort of flash difuser

I plan on using this rig for mostly family events.

I plan on using an older offset, hand held, mounting bracket so the flash is off to one side, that I already have. However my bracket has an all metal shoe and I am conserned about the connector pins shorting out on the bracket.

Also I have done some home work on the 540 flash; some of you are not happy with it.

I want something that fully integrates with the camera so that it is just about "point and shoot". That is why I have been leaning towards the 540.

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will try to return the favors sometime.

Thanks,
Orrin1

11-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Orrin.
Good to have you on board.
The K2000 is an excellent novice dSLR that has features even advanced cameras have.
I can vouch for the 540 flash - it may not be the world's most robust unit, but it does the job, and for what you want it to do (point and shoot), it should suffice. The caveat to this is to consider not shooting in the K2000's full auto (green) mode all the time.

Pentax cameras are known to avoid blowing highlights like the plague, and so at times results in full auto come out quite dark. This to me is not a problem, as they can be edited afterwards, but for pointing and shooting without having to put too much effort in afterwards, I'd suggest boosting the camera's exposure compensation a little to get bright and well exposed results.
11-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks Ash, I never expected a reply so fast! Good tips, too!
Orrin1
11-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I'd also look at the new K-x seems to be very well priced over that side of the world especially with the new twin lens kit (55-300) as the lens is worth about 300+ (i think!)

Worth a look anyway.

Thanks

Steve

11-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
I'd also look at the new K-x seems to be very well priced over that side of the world especially with the new twin lens kit (55-300) as the lens is worth about 300+ (i think!)

Worth a look anyway.

Thanks

Steve
I would second that motion. If you can afford the KX you might want to check it out. Supposedly it has THE BEST low light capability in it's class.
11-10-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I third the suggestion of a K-x. I bought the kit with the 55-300 in it over the weekend. I've been very pleased with it so far.