Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #1

Lense for a football game

I am going to be attending my first NFL and College Bowl game this year. I would like to take some pictures to remember it by. I am sitting around row 28 for both games, one in the corner and the other on the 20 yards line. What would be a the best lense to take? I would like some action shots if possible. Thanks

11-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What lenses do you have to choose from?
11-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
well they allow your cam??? call ahead
11-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The longest lens you are likely to have would be about right.

11-11-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaughn_33 Quote
I am going to be attending my first NFL and College Bowl game this year. I would like to take some pictures to remember it by. I am sitting around row 28 for both games, one in the corner and the other on the 20 yards line. What would be a the best lense to take? I would like some action shots if possible. Thanks
You will need to contact the home team's office and find out what lens limitations they have. Most stadiums will not allow "professional" lenses. And the rule many go by is a lense <= 6" in total length.

Some teams have such info on their website most don't...and no matter what you read it comes down to the screener at the gate who ultimately gets to decide if your gear/lens is a "pro" lens or not...

I would contact the home team's offices and find out what their rules are and also ask if they can either send an email explaining the regs or a web page so you can be certain.
11-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some, like the NFL Redskins at FedEx Field, have recently qualified the policy to mean NO video allowed but ALL still cameras allowed without regard to professional versus amateur or lens.

Raw Fisherfrom Marc Fisher's Blog - At FedEx Field, an Eventual Victory for Shutterbugs - washingtonpost.com
11-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I'm sure that will change when the see the video's that can be taken with DSLR camera's now.
11-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Some, like the NFL Redskins at FedEx Field, have recently qualified the policy to mean NO video allowed but ALL still cameras allowed without regard to professional versus amateur or lens.

Raw Fisherfrom Marc Fisher's Blog - At FedEx Field, an Eventual Victory for Shutterbugs - washingtonpost.com
Nice article. I love how it highlights the very arbitrary nature of these policies and enforcement.

One thing, however, is what is OK at one venue is not OK at another. Some cite safety issues when using longer lenses, even if you are sitting up the the Uecker section. Others simply say any lens over 6" is a "pro" lens so no can use. And even more have no hard fast rule. When i was shooting Canon thy have a great 200mm that is not "white" and can use a 2x teleconverter so plenty of people would use that 200 f2.8 then add the 2x once in their seats and get a 400mm/5.6, not ideal, but for a day game or candid/stills it's a nice combo.

As to a "pro body" never read where any body was an issue, but would not be surprised to know it's true. We all know it's about the glass not the body really.

Interesting, i never thought of the whole new layer of complexity when adding the new video capable DSLR's...sigh...the fun has really been taken out of our "fun" anymore. Kind of a shame...but it's all about the cash.