Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 02:06 AM   #1

possible problem with my new K-x (other than batteries)

Well, I got my K-x (black unfortunately)and tried testing it a bit.

unfortunately so far none of my batteries work - and i have a few dozen rechargeable batteries among them quite a few recently purchased eneloop re-badges.

However I can feel/hear the mirror or shutter or sensor assembly shifting when I tilt it a little, like those cylindrical cow sound toys.....

Also, if i go to live view , before the camera shuts off, the autofocus makes a lot more noise than usual. I also hear a lot of noise from the shutter i think, a grating sound and very loud.

It would seem like I'll have to return it.

11-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #2

same here

Identical observations regarding shutter/sensor movement ... doesn't appear to be a problem but i'd like an explanation.

Similar Live view/shutoff observations ... i think its the mirror ... heck of a vibration too!

Batteries - are now a minor irritation for me ... I had to learn to be patient and leave the batteries in the camera for a while before turning it on. Battery issue solved! Weird, it was only the first time. Prior to this I tried a number of different batteries with no success. Now some of these same batteries work if I install them and wait...
11-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

No worries, all the sounds you describe are the free floating SR mechanism, either idle or in action.

Every body has it.

Move the front switch to MF and disable sr and the lv sounds should be almost absent.
11-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
People have asked the same questions about the previous models (K200d, K20d)--you can check the old threads with the 'search' function: as tomtor said, the sound comes from the SR system.

11-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
that helped, turning offf the SR. Didnt know the k20 did it too, the one I have (and k10) don't do it.

Even leaving the batteries for a day doesnt change a thing.
11-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

K-7 has similar "problem."

Read this thread
11-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
that helped, turning offf the SR. Didnt know the k20 did it too, the one I have (and k10) don't do it.
K10D "don't do it" because it has no LV or video. You can check that it does same thing by, say, setting camera to M mode and setting shutter speed to 4-8 seconds. When shutter is open, you'll hear quite an audible whirring sound.
11-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
K10D "don't do it" because it has no LV or video. You can check that it does same thing by, say, setting camera to M mode and setting shutter speed to 4-8 seconds. When shutter is open, you'll hear quite an audible whirring sound.

I was not very clear; in addition to less noise by turning the SR off, I stopped feeling/hearing the sensor moving as well when I move it around.

It's good to know that it's normal, though it's annoying. Too bad non of my batteries so far work.

11-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
It's good to know that it's normal, though it's annoying.
Well, that's the price we pay for a steady LV finder.

QuoteQuote:
Too bad non of my batteries so far work.
Weird... All my rechargeables work in k-x. Though, the first time I tried Ni-Mh's (eneloops) in K-x, I had to wait about half a minute before it powered up. After that first time, all NiMh's start up much faster.
11-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
I was not very clear; in addition to less noise by turning the SR off, I stopped feeling/hearing the sensor moving as well when I move it around.
True. But the K10D *does* make the noise when you move the camera around. The weather sealing might have softened the sound some, but it's there - it's there in all cameras with SR.

QuoteQuote:
It's good to know that it's normal, though it's annoying. Too bad non of my batteries so far work.
Have you followed the instructions in the various threads here involving making sure to set the battery type correctly, waiting a while before the turning the camera on, etc?
11-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
True. But the K10D *does* make the noise when you move the camera around. The weather sealing might have softened the sound some, but it's there - it's there in all cameras with SR.

Have you followed the instructions in the various threads here involving making sure to set the battery type correctly, waiting a while before the turning the camera on, etc?

1- With my K10, whether the SR is on or off, on the camera is on of of, I hear no sound of something shifting moving from the body itself like i do with the Kx. Same with the k20 and the one time I handled the K7 in store.

2- tried all the various ways, nothing works beyond a few shots. The worse is when I set it to NiMH (half the time won't turn on). I've waited more than a while before turning on the camera as well.

serial starts 3434, which seems to be one of the batches that have problems.

Luckily I was hoping that by buying through best buy, that if there was a problem it would be a simple matter to return it.
11-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
serial starts 3434, which seems to be one of the batches that have problems.
Mine is 3431.... No problems so far. Hope you have better luck with replacement! I bought mine from Adorama, it has (or at least had, not sure how it is now) the body only on ebay for 550 or so, with bing 8%, that goes down to 500 or so. Free shipping, or add $10 for 2nd day air!
11-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #13

Original Poster
it's up to 600 now.
11-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
1- With my K10, whether the SR is on or off, on the camera is on of of, I hear no sound of something shifting moving from the body itself like i do with the Kx. Same with the k20 and the one time I handled the K7 in store.
As I said, the weather sealing may make it quieter, but if the sound isn't there, then your SR system is broken. SR on *all* Pentax DSLR models involves letting the sensor float freely, and *all* models there make the noise. Listen more carefully, or hand it to someone with keener ears, and I'll bet you'll notice it after all.