Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #1

Newbie purchase Kx/K20D/Samsung GX-20?

I am finally ready to move beyond the world of p&s. I have read so many awesome reviews of the KX, but i was wondering with prices getting so close on the K20D and GX-20 if I should go with one of them instead? Looking to do mostly basic hobby shooting.

Last edited by iggy373; 11-11-2009 at 12:53 PM.
11-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day and welcome to the forum.
"Basic hobby shooting" consists of what for you?
Any of the above cameras should do the job fine, it will rather be the lenses you choose that will determine their suitability to your chosen style of shooting.

None of the cameras would disappoint, bearing in mind the K20D is quite a refined model with advanced features for when you want to take your photography more seriously.

Nevertheless, the K-x performs excellently and can boast of much of the features that leaves its rival models for dead.

Also check out the forum's reviews of these cameras in the Camera review database in the Reviews section on the above tabs.
Hope this helps.
11-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
basic hobby shooting to me will be family events, some portraits, some landscape scenery (just for fun).
11-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Forum Member

I recently upgraded from istDL2 to Samsung GX-20 and would never come back to a camera with one wheel and limited external controls. The interactive screen, as nice as it is, is no substitute for switches and levers.
Between k20D and GX20 there is not much to chose from. I opted for Samsung because I like the fact that you can change WB, drive, flash modes and ISO without hitting the Fn button first (when in centre AF point or auto). It also was a bit cheaper. The downside of the Samsung is the battery grip which is more difficult to find and often more expensive.
Oh, and I shot pretty much the same thing; family, portraits, landscape and still appreciate the extra features.

regards, Marcin

11-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
If it's possible I would say go to a local camera shop and, if available, handle both the cameras.

I just went through the same process, and while I also agree the k-x is a very fine camera, I opted for the K20 instead in the end. For me the superior build quality and overall feel of the K20 outweighed the k-x's superior high ISO and AF performance. I did find the K20s AF and ISO performance to be good enough for me though, and a big leap from my old K100D. I just wish I could have both!

But you may find, as others have, that the K20 is too big a beast!

Colin.
11-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both the K20D and, just recently, got the K-x. I think the answers you have received so far are correct. Handle both cameras if you can. The K-x is MUCH smaller than the K20D. I have the grip on the K20D and compared to the K-x, it weighs a ton! This is actually better for larger lenses as it gives more balance.

I started out just wanting a camera for family pictures, landscapes, scenery etc. After I had K20D for a while and started seeing the results, I got a bit more creative, bought a few more lenses (beware of LBA)! in less than a year I went from novice to being published in an on-line travel guide.

The K-x has video, HDR, face recognition, far better high ISO performance and some other great features at 12.6 Mp. The K20D is more programmable for future experimentation and refinement to your tastes at 14.6Mp.

Hmmmmm hard decision. If I were to buy just one of the two cameras...... probably I would get the K20D just because it allows more growth as a photographer. Well, there's my 2 cents.

Good luck and take loads of pictures. I think we would all like to see you post some when you get your Pentax "Gem"
11-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone is different, however camera bodies are like computers in that they cycle through improvements fairly rapidly. Lenses tend to be longer term investments. So based on that, and with your coming from a P&S, I would tend to go for the KX for several reasons.
  • Lower price and the ability to pick up lenses
  • You really do not know what you want to do and have no specific functional needs, so the KX will do just fine.
  • You can get the KX and 2 lens kit for a very good price...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/79290-k-x-2-lens-kit-699-newegg.html

A bit over 4 years ago I started with the K100 (entry level body) and just last April/May upgraded to the K20. You can get a number of years of wonderful use out of the KX body and add lenses as necessary (maybe the 2 kit lenses will be more than sufficient: 18-55 and 50-200). You never know, but this would be a wonderful start.

just a thought...

11-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks everyone for the advice. I just took the plunge and got the KX with standard kit for $560 with a free sling bag. Hope i made the right decision. Can't wait to try it out!
11-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you'll be happy with it. With all the money you've saved from the purchase you can splurge on a fast lens like a Pentax FA 50 f/1.4. It will transform the way you create images.