Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #16

also many old k mount lenses out there... got a 135mm sears "a" lens on ebay for $24.50

this lens also has a macro feature which is fun to play with!

scott e burnham
http://snaptphotography.webs.com/

11-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #17

I was in the same position around six months ago with a Km.

There are a lot of cheap AF 28-80 ish Pentax lenses out there. Some are a bit hopeless, others are better. The best cheap one I've found is either the Pentax-F 28-80 or the Pentax FA 28-90. Remember that to get the equivelent film focal length on digital you multiply by 1.6, so the 90mm becomes a 144mm which I find is a handy short telephoto for when I don't want to lug a bigger lens about.

Have a look at the lens reviews on this site, you won't go far wrong. I would suggest that you look for an auto focus telephoto zoom that fits above your kit lens, and then consider some older manual focus primes to play with if this appeals. The Pentax-A lenses will be easier to use than the M or K series as the latter don't have the electronics to allow the camera to set the aperture.

Auto focus primes are expensive, so I'd strongly advise buying a manual one first to see what you think. If you decide to buy an AF one later then you won't lose anything selling the manual lens on. Prices seem pretty steady.