Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York/Oakland
Posts: 48
Pentax KX, but new to dslrs and lenses

Hey guys! I am the proud new owner of a Pentax KX. I love the camera, what an amazing piece of technology!

With that said, I only opted for the stock 18-55 lens. I was wondering what reasonable options are out there for me to add some variety to my lens collection? I have found some, but they are all 500-1000 dollars. There must be some cheaper sorts.

Thanks in advance.

11-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
Welcome to the forum.
You have a fine little camera that's the envy of many camera owners, even here!
Cheaper lenses you're after? For what purpose.
The first thought most here would have is to consider utilising Pentax's backward compatibility and shop for manual focus lenses that are good quality yet reasonably cheap.
These include the M or A 50 f/1.7 (but the FA 50 f/1.4 is also reasonably affordable) and the variety of other M, A and K lenses made by Pentax. There are many other brands of manual lenses also that you can use - it's all a matter of finding them.

Try this forum's marketplace and eBay for starters.
11-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York/Oakland
Posts: 48
Original Poster
Thank you so much for the reply.

I guess my next question is, what specifics am I looking for to make sure it is mountable to my camera body?
11-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
If it can be mounted, it can be used - with limitations based on the lens's contacts with the camera body.

If you're asking what lenses will mount on your camera, just check to see that they're specifically K-mount lenses (also known as PK or Pentax K-mount).

Also, M42 screwmount lenses can be mounted via an M42-to-K-mount adapter which can be found in lots of places, but for this I would suggest getting the genuine Pentax M42-K-mount adapter.

11-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York/Oakland
Posts: 48
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If it can be mounted, it can be used - with limitations based on the lens's contacts with the camera body.

If you're asking what lenses will mount on your camera, just check to see that they're specifically K-mount lenses (also known as PK or Pentax K-mount).

Also, M42 screwmount lenses can be mounted via an M42-to-K-mount adapter which can be found in lots of places, but for this I would suggest getting the genuine Pentax M42-K-mount adapter.

You are too kind, thank you.

In essence, a prime lens would be a nice addition to the lens I have?

RICOH RIKENON XR MF 50mm f/1.7 PENTAX K LENS~NR~CLEAN!! - eBay (item 220505841485 end time Nov-11-09 19:48:54 PST)

I assume that would work, no?

Thanks again.
11-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
chedoy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 143
For hobbyists, Pentax has the DA18-55mm and the DA50-200mm. The latter is $209 shipped from BHPphoto.com. Probably less at Amazon.com. It's a nice compact and light telephoto. It expands you zoom capabilty out to a decent range.

A bright 50mm prime is a nice lens to have in the bag, but that particular focal length doesn't fit my needs. Maybe a 35mm or 28 mm for me. In addition, looking at that auction jogged my memory because the seller says the lens will not fit a K20D. Some Ricoh lenses have an extra pin that will get the lens badly stuck on your camera. Of course, you can remove the pin. Google for info.

You can find another Pentax mount 50mm. Remember you give up autofocus, and focus can be very critical at the large aperture. Google for Depth of Field. Basically, with a large aperture (like F1.7) that part of the scene that is not in focus gets blurred. Used commonly as an artistic effect.
11-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Euclid Ohio
Posts: 77
Watch out for the Ricoh lenses. Some of them have an extra contact pin that can jam on the Pentax cameras. These are the Ricoh lenses with the "P" location on the aperture ring. The pin can be removed and the the lens should then work fine. Check this site, there should be more infomation about this problem.

Rick
11-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York/Oakland
Posts: 48
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chedoy Quote
For hobbyists, Pentax has the DA18-55mm and the DA50-200mm. The latter is $209 shipped from BHPphoto.com. Probably less at Amazon.com. It's a nice compact and light telephoto. It expands you zoom capabilty out to a decent range.

A bright 50mm prime is a nice lens to have in the bag, but that particular focal length doesn't fit my needs. Maybe a 35mm or 28 mm for me. In addition, looking at that auction jogged my memory because the seller says the lens will not fit a K20D. Some Ricoh lenses have an extra pin that will get the lens badly stuck on your camera. Of course, you can remove the pin. Google for info.

You can find another Pentax mount 50mm. Remember you give up autofocus, and focus can be very critical at the large aperture. Google for Depth of Field. Basically, with a large aperture (like F1.7) that part of the scene that is not in focus gets blurred. Used commonly as an artistic effect.
Thank you very much for the insight!

Is there a major difference between 28mm and 50mm? Would you suggest having both, and if not, which would be better for a hobbyist/street shooter.

11-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,631
QuoteOriginally posted by Dynasty Quote
Is there a major difference between 28mm and 50mm? Would you suggest having both, and if not, which would be better for a hobbyist/street shooter.
You can figure out which suits you just by looking through your 18-55.

You should narrow down whether you want to add range with a telephoto or add speed for indoor/ambient light shooting. Depending on style, either could make sense next.
11-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York/Oakland
Posts: 48
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You can figure out which suits you just by looking through your 18-55.

You should narrow down whether you want to add range with a telephoto or add speed for indoor/ambient light shooting. Depending on style, either could make sense next.
I am not sure I am interested in range per se. I would like to take real close shots, landscape, people, etc.
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,998
Good Evening, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the KX. I think that you will have a good time using it. On your question regarding the various focal lengths, probably the best explanation is something visual.

Here are a couple of the focal length comparison tools. A set of pictures is worth several thousand words in this case. These are probably some of the better ones...

Canon USA Consumer Products - EF Lenses 101 - Focal Length Comparison

Tamron - Focal Length Comparison

Generally 50mm is considered a normal lens similar to the human eye. Lower numbers are wider angle, higher number are telephoto. The lower the number or the higher the number outside the range of 18 to 200 and the price climbs very rapidly.

Another lens related item is the aperture or the f stop. Fast lenses f 2.8 and lower - which are considered low light lenses, command a higher price, due the to design and construction of the lens, so as to be able to collect more light.

Your kit lens the DA 18-55 is really one of the best kit lenses around. Its companion the DA 50-200 is also very good. I started out with both of them and still have them. I would use those to for a while, and with some experience you will start to know what you are interested in, and thus what your next lens would be (wide angle, telephoto, a faster prime lens for low light, etc.).

Real close shots usually call for a macro lens. Landscapes usually call for wide angle, etc. You already have a pretty good wide angle lens in the 18-55 at the 18mm end. You can also stitch photos together with panorama software.

hope that helps...
11-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Nick Siebers's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,139
The XR lenses from Ricoh are fine to use, no pin. Actually they are quite nice. With that said, a Pentax M 50mm f/1.7 is a pretty darn nice lens, and won't set you back to much money, with the same functionality.

The 18-55mm lens is a very nice lens to get you started, it covers a useful range and will focus pretty close. My first recommendation would be to use that for a while, until you figure out what you want to do that it cannot. Then you can go in many ways. If you are willing to focus manually there are a ton of great prime lenses that will work on your camera, albeit with something of a learning curve, many under $100. For auto-focus you will end up paying either a bit more to a lot more, as you noticed, depending on the lens.

Go slow, I say! There will remain a lot of time to buy more lenses. Use what you got.
11-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,631
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Generally 50mm is considered a normal lens similar to the human eye.
50mm is considered normal on a full-frame camera, but on a Pentax digital camera it's considered a mild telephoto (75mm equivalent). Normal for APS-C is 28-35mm (maybe can be stretched to 28-40mm).
11-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: southern california
Posts: 220
16-45mm and 55-300m are nice step up from kit and prices are ok... both sharp an contrasty.. good 2 zoom kit

16-45



55-300



scott e burnham
http://snaptphotography.webs.com/
11-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member
lurchlarson's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 683
The tamron 70-300 1:2 macro does a pretty fine job for the price. I've got the Quantaray but it's just a rebadged tamron. It can be had for around $140. Also look for the M 50mm f/1.7 You'd be hard pressed to find to many sharper lenses under $500 (this lens is usually sold on ebay for less than $50). It's old school manual but man do I love that lens. Sometimes you can get it at a garage sale attached to an old film body.

Check my website. Nearly all of the pictures were taken with the 70-300, the 18-55 or the 50.

Last edited by lurchlarson; 11-11-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: clarification
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, kx, lens, pentax, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs F-- Robert S Donovan Pentax Lens Articles 2 03-25-2013 05:58 PM
Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs F-- Robert S Donovan Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 80 01-07-2011 09:10 AM
Lenses that fit Pentax DSLRs TomK Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 7 09-13-2009 08:19 PM
Will these lenses work on Pentax DSLRs? SUNNYSIDE Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 01-08-2008 02:22 PM
Focus Calibrations for Pentax DSLRs and Lenses RiceHigh Pentax DSLR Discussion 50 01-25-2007 02:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top