Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K2000 Settings

I just got my K2000 and i have some questions
1. need some help with the settings.
what are the important things in the settings that i need to adjust?
2. How can i Set focus point to the center ?
3. Whats the purpose of Color space? sRGB or Adobe?

11-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

1. All settings are completely subjective; what works for one person won't for another. I'd start with the assumption the defaults will work fine. Then, as you read the manual to see what the settings do, you might find some that sound like they are worth playing with. For me personally, I'd probably make only a few changes from the defaults: I'd make sure it was set to RAW as opposed to JPEG, I like to have the button that sets exposure in M mode leave the aperture alone and only change shutter speed, and I like center weighted metering and center focus point. But that's me; I doubt anyone else in the entire world would zoom in on those same few settings.

2. I don't know the K2000 menu system, but I assume it's in the Record menu. The item used to be famously labeled "swtch dst msr pt", but on my K200D, it's "Select AF Point".

3. The purpose of color space is to cause people who don't absolutely understand *exactly* what they are doing with the color spaces to royally screw up their pictures. I'm *not* one of those people who understands exactly what I am doing with color space, so I won't touch that setting with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 11-13-2009 at 10:24 AM.
11-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #3

The main changes I made were to set the flash to "On" rather than Auto (which means that the flash will only fire if you pop it up with the button on the back) and setting it to allow me to use the aperture ring on lenses equipped with one. The latter is essential if you want to play with old manual lenses on a digital body and makes no difference when using newer lenses.
11-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
I just got my K2000 and i have some questions
1. need some help with the settings.
what are the important things in the settings that i need to adjust?
2. How can i Set focus point to the center ?
3. Whats the purpose of Color space? sRGB or Adobe?
1. huh? It's different for everybody...
2. Menu -> second page -> third menu item "Select AF point"
3. if you don't know it then don't touch it (leave it at sRGB).

11-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
The main changes I made were to set the flash to "On" rather than Auto (which means that the flash will only fire if you pop it up with the button on the back) and setting it to allow me to use the aperture ring on lenses equipped with one. The latter is essential if you want to play with old manual lenses on a digital body and makes no difference when using newer lenses.
Yeah, I forgot, I always make those same two settings. Although again, not everyone will have the same preferences.
11-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
what about the iso noise reduction? i have mine at weakest is this ok?
11-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #7

The only way to decide is to get the camera out and take some test shots. If you don't like an aspect of the results then ask about it here and find out which setting to adjust (or what to do differently, if it's a problem with composition, depth of field, etc).

As delivered the K2000 will take excellent photos, you only really need to adjust anything if something in particular annoys you, as with me and the auto flash mode. I'm not a fan of built in flashes as they tend to produce undesired reflections from an object, and many locations have a "no flash photography" rule.
11-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does the custom image/digital filter apply only to jpeg? If i shoot raw does it matter?

11-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what about the iso noise reduction? i have mine at weakest is this ok?
I turned mine off. A third party noise reduction can do much more, but you cannot undo noise reduction done in camera. Noise reduction is basically a blur setting that hides the noise by merging pixels. (Yeah, I know it's overly simplified, but that's how I think of it). With noise reduction off, you retain the maximum detail, and then on your computer, if it is a noisy image, you selectively reduce it the minimum amount required.
11-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does the custom image/digital filter apply only to jpeg? If i shoot raw does it matter?
Yep, it applies to only jpeg.
11-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I turned mine off. A third party noise reduction can do much more, but you cannot undo noise reduction done in camera. Noise reduction is basically a blur setting that hides the noise by merging pixels. (Yeah, I know it's overly simplified, but that's how I think of it). With noise reduction off, you retain the maximum detail, and then on your computer, if it is a noisy image, you selectively reduce it the minimum amount required.
What program do you use for noise reduction?
11-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

a good all around photo editing software that includes NR is lightroom.

One of the best separate programs dedicated to high quality NR is topaz denoise.
11-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I notice sometimes when using M mode the exposure balance keeps on changing (like -0.5 then changings to 0 and +0.5) do i have to wait for it to change to 0? i use multisegment metering.
also if i shoot jpeg whats the recommended iso noise reduction settings have you guys experience? thx
11-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You don't have to wait for it to change, its just telling you that based on the metering, it thinks it is that much over or under exposed. You can adjust exposure in software within limits (can't save clipped data in extreme dark or shadow that you may be able to get if you adjust camera exposure).

For JPEG, it's personal preference. If you aren't going to do any kind of NR in software, take some higher ISO shots and see what you like. If you are going to use lightroom or any kind of NR software, you can set it lower or even off.
11-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I notice sometimes when using M mode the exposure balance keeps on changing (like -0.5 then changings to 0 and +0.5) do i have to wait for it to change to 0? i use multisegment metering.
The whole idea of M mode is that the aperture and shutter speed you sleect stay selected - they don't change. The camera is simply telling you the meter reading - at 0, it is saying it thinks the shot will be perfectly exposed at the aperture and shutter speed your have selected; at negative readings, it is telling you it will be underexposed; at positive readings, it is telling you it will be overexposed. But it's not going to change aperture or shutter speed for you - again, the whole point of M mode is that *you* make the call.

I prefer doing this, since at least half the time I disagree with the camera about what I want. For instance, at a given aperture and shutter speed, if I point at a person wearing dark clothing, then point at someone else standing in the exact same light but his clothes happen to be lighter, it will give me different meter readings (and if I were in an auto mode, it would change exposure accordingly). To me, this is madness - if they are in the same light, I want the same exposure. I want a white shirt to look white and a black one to look black; I don't want them both turned to gray. That's the big advantage of M mode to me - I control the exposure. But of course, that also means it's up to me to realize when the light has changed (and meter will hel here, too), so I can adjust aperture or shutter speed accordingly.

Others would prefer to just let the camera adjust their exposure for them, so they prefer P or Av mode or whatever. Again, that's why asking omeone else what settings they prefer doesn't really make sense. It's not about what I prefer - it's about what you prefer.

QuoteQuote:
also if i shoot jpeg whats the recommended iso noise reduction settings have you guys experience? thx
Again, same answer: looks for yourself. You might as well be asking us which girl you should date or what toppings you should order on your pizza. Some like a lot of NR and are willing to sacrifice detail to get it, others prefer to maximize detail and there they minimize NR. Having NR off is also probably the smartest choice if you intend to PP the pictures later, as you can't undo the NR if the camera did too much.