Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #1

When autofocusing, best to choose a point?

Hello friends!

I am rather new to digital photography, but eager to learn.

As far as focusing goes, my kx has a few options (5 points, 11 points, manual between those eleven points and 1 point).

Which should I be utilizing, or is it a matter of what kind of shot I am looking for?

I assume automatic is going to try to get many shots in focus? If I only wanted, say, a single item in the bottom right to be in focus, I would chose the 11 point and move it over there?

Thanks for helping this noobie!

11-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #2

You COULD choose one and move it there, or you could also use the center point, then focus on that specific item you want in focus, then hold the shutter halfway down while you recompose your shot, then push the shutter the rest of the way down.
11-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
You COULD choose one and move it there, or you could also use the center point, then focus on that specific item you want in focus, then hold the shutter halfway down while you recompose your shot, then push the shutter the rest of the way down.
Thank you for the quick response. Sorry for the clarification, but how can I focus on a specific item while I am centered? Assuming that the item is not in the center of course.
11-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you leave the AF point on the center, you focus and recompose. It's explained in the manual, but briefly, you focus by pressing either the AF button (if equipped) or a partial press of the shutter button and then recompose the picture (move the camera until you like the composition in the viewfinder) while keeping the button pressed (if using the shutter button).
It can be easier if using the AF button because you can delink AF from the shutter button and treat AF as a separate operation from pressing the shutter button.
Read your manual on this, I'm sure I've just confused things.

Generally, if the camera is choosing the focus point, it will choose to focus on what is closest to the camera. This may or may not suit you.

I prefer selecting the AF point myself, but with 11 AF points it is not always possible to focus on what you want, so focus and recompose is still the method, but you are just moving the camera less.
IIRC, the KX does not illuminate the focus points, so I suspect selectable focus point AF will be a bit of a pain.

11-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not sure if you're clear on something basic here, so pardon me if this obvious:

Whether you choose which of the AF points to use or let the camera choose for you, one and only one point will be chosen. The object at that point will be the only thing in focus - well, that and everything at "about" the same distance from you (look up the term "DOF" - depth of field - to see what I mean by "about" here).

So your question kind of is like asking, "when eating at a restaurant, best to choose an item from the menu?" The answer is "yes" if you care what you are served. If you don't care, then it's fine to tell the waiter to bring whatever he feels like. And that's basically what you are doing if you let the camera choose the point for you. That's fine if you don't care which point the camera uses - that is, which object it chooses to focus on. I've taken maybe 50,000 or so pictures, but I can't remember *any* of them where I didn't care where the camera focused...