Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #1

K-X DSLR with older lenses

Hello -
First post, hope for some good info. I'm looking a buying the Pentax K-X for a few reason. I like the features and the speed for a starter camera. But mostly I have 5 lenses from older film cameras that I would like to be able to use.
1:3/28 Super Multi-Coated Takumar
1:4/50 Super Takumar
1:4/200 Super Takumar
28-70 ZX-5N AF
80-200 ZX-5N AF

I understand the 1.5 crop factor, but my questions are:
1 - Will these work with the K-X?
2 - Will I be able to shoot and sports, candid, family portraits with these?
3 - What new digital lens would be a good recommendation for action shots, if the Takumars don't work for that?

11-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What was your film camera? If the Takumars are not screw mount, ie you could mount them on the same camera as the ZX lenses then you can mount them (and use them with some exposure restrictions) on the K-X.

The AF lenses will be fully functional, although 1.5x more tele than on your film camera. You didn't state the apertures of the 28-70/80-200, but I see no reason why you couldn't use them on the K-X. The IQ could be a bit disappointing however, because when you view digital images at 100% all flaws you didn't see on film become clear.

If you buy the K-X then I would also buy the 18-55 kit lens with it...
11-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the first 3 don't fit on the ZX-5N, they may be screw mount and not K-mount, in which you will have to buy genuine adapter for $30 or so, and then it will work fine in Av or M mode when stopping down the lens.

List some more info about the lenses, or check the review database.

MF primes can be good for sports if you are adept at using them (prefocusing, timing, etc).
11-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
right now I don't know the apertures of the lenses. The Takumars are all threaded, and I knew I'd have to purchase an adapter. So it seems that the Takumar lenses would be the best for stills, landscape, portraits etc. And I should use the kit lens or a digital based lens for any high speed action type shooting.

11-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
right now I don't know the apertures of the lenses. The Takumars are all threaded, and I knew I'd have to purchase an adapter. So it seems that the Takumar lenses would be the best for stills, landscape, portraits etc. And I should use the kit lens or a digital based lens for any high speed action type shooting.
Have you tried using manual lenses on K-x before? For some reason - and I haven't brought this up here yet - all manual lenses that don't have an aperture lever (so, any pre-set or m42's) underexpose on mine by about 2 stops.
11-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Have you tried using manual lenses on K-x before? For some reason - and I haven't brought this up here yet - all manual lenses that don't have an aperture lever (so, any pre-set or m42's) underexpose on mine by about 2 stops.
You have to short the "DATA" pin when using Av mode. It works fine in M mode.
11-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
I would also like to know your opinions on the K200d and K-x?
11-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm moving this to the Beginner's forum, since it deals with pretty commonly recurring topics that involve both cameras and lenses. I'd suggest reading through the other threads on that forum to see the many suggestions that have been given in response to similar questions in the past. There is a sticky thread there on how to use manual lenses, there are lots of discussions on which lenses to use for which purposes, etc.

I'd guess that of the lenses you have, all but the 28-70 will be worth holding onto. The 28-70 will work, but with the crop factor, it won't be nearly as useful as it was on film - unless perhaps it is an f/2.8 lens.

11-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
You have to short the "DATA" pin when using Av mode. It works fine in M mode.
Really? I've never heard about that before - and neither K10D or K20D needed that. Well, I can deal with +2 compensation, don't wanna mess with aluminum foil every time I change a lens...