Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any tips for shooting fireworks?

Hi guys, im going to a monster truck event tomorow and i was told there will be a fire works display after, ive never tried any fire works photography before so some tips would be great, i will take my tripod and i assume some longish shutter speeds will be best?

Cheers

11-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Damn Brit

I'm moving this to Beginners Q&A because this is the kind of question that gets asked a lot.
11-13-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok sorry, i was unaware that there was a beginners section, im still getting use to the forum.
11-13-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Ok sorry, i was unaware that there was a beginners section, im still getting use to the forum.
Not a problem, I tend to move stuff here if I think this is where it will have the most benefit not necessarily to you the OP but to other new members. Also the questions that get asked again and again can crowd out the more serious stuff in the other forums (and the curmudgeons get feisty when that happens).
Just bear in mind please, if you're not sure where to post, post in Everything Else, that's the catch all forum. The moderators will move it from there if necessary.
Enjoy the forum.

11-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Hi guys, im going to a monster truck event tomorow and i was told there will be a fire works display after, ive never tried any fire works photography before so some tips would be great, i will take my tripod and i assume some longish shutter speeds will be best?

Cheers
Just expose as if it was for daylight but use bulb mode and either a remote or a cabled shutter release. If you visit the following gallery you can see shots I took using smallish apetures but 5-10 second exposures. You cna use shorter shutter speeds for different effects. I just prefer catching multiple explosions at the same time.

BreckLundin's Place : Lompoc 4th of July Fireworks

Other than that, pick the settings you think are correct, take some practice shots, adjust as needed, sit back and have fun.

Oh, also my shots are always on a tripod unless I am getting single explosions. And another tip is you take the guess work out of the equation by learning to follow the "rocket/motar" when it's launched then trigger the shutter as it reaches it's apex or you see the explosion...there is plenty of time so don't feel rushed.

Another thing some folks prefer is to include the event itself with fireworks as a background element of the picture. Those are OK and can be nice, but are more difficult plus I can sit on my deck and get the shots...hehehehe...
11-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok cool, thanks for the tip
11-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have taken fireworks shots with a monopod and got decent results and have also shot some handheld. I find the hardest thing is trying to get the explosion framed. The last time I had better luck shooting on the wider end of my zoom and cropping. I was very close and much of the shooting was straight overhead. I had a stiff neck after a few minutes. I have tried quite a few different apertures and shutter speeds. The first shot was at 49mm, ISO1600, f/5.6, and 1/20 shutter. The second was 21mm, ISO 100, f/11, and 1/4 sec. shutter. You will be able to get longer shutter speeds with a tripod.

Last edited by reeftool; 07-20-2010 at 08:39 AM.
11-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any tips for shooting fireworks?

I really, really want to say, "Light match, touch flame to fuse, run away."

But I won't

(That was the actual, printed instruction on a package of Black Cats I got last summer).