Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #1

need help are all k mounts compatible

im a total newbie and know nothing at all im here to ask for my dad he used to be into photograpy but then stopped he now wants to get back into it again but needs an update

he has an old pentax k mount camera and lots of lenses he has said that k mount used to be the standard for pentax camera lense mounting

he wants to replace the camera as its very old and we dont know if it even works as it hasnt been used in probably more than 10 years it the type that has the cylinder shaped film and he wants to go digital

the problem is he doesnt want to replace all the lenses just the camera so was hoping it was posable to get a cemera that uses the old lenses

the camera he has at the minute is a pentax me super and thats all i can find on it
iv got one of the lenses that fit it under the glass front it says smc pentex-m 1:1.7 50mm asahi opt.co. japan and then it has more writing around the outside hoya 49mm uv[0] japan

Pentax ME Super - Camerapedia.org this is the camera

Pentax 50mm f/1.7 SMC-M this is the lense i have in my hands but he has more if more info is needed

please help this will absolutly make his christmas if i can get a new camera for him

if you need to now any more info i will try my best but like i say i know nothing about this

thanks in advance

11-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The lens would be usable on any of the current Pentax digital bodies. Obviously it wouldn't auto focus, but it would be very useable. There are plenty of folks on the forum who only use lenses like this.
11-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beginner's Corner Q&A

Hi! Welcome to the Forum!

The short answer to your question is, yes, those lenses can be used on any Pentax digital SLR with just a few extra steps to obtain proper exposure - actually, 24,000,000 legacy Pentax lenses work on the DSLR's.

Visit The Beginners' Corner Q&A sub-Forum here to learn about how these lenses work on Pentax DSLR's (and lots of other neat stuff, too)!
11-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any Pentax DSLR will accept those old lenses. Read the sticky thread in the beginner forum on how to use manual lenses with a DSLR - the process is slightly different than it was with his old camera - but it works just fine. You or he will want to research the term "crop factor" - and be prepared to read and re-read and re-read and have it take a while before it starts to make sense. His lenses will all behave differently on a DSLR - they will act like lenses with a longer focal length. So if he had a 28mm "wide angle" lens, he'll find it not so wide angle any more; it will be closer to what his 50mm lens used to be. And his 50mm will be closer to what what his 85m portrait lens used to be, if he had such a lens. And so on. It's somewhat more complex than that, but bottom line is, he might think he's all set for lenses, but he'll probably discover he needs a new wide angle lens. The 18-55 zoom that usually sells with the camera would be a fine choice.

11-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Beware the dreaded Ricoh Pin

If your Dad's camera is an ME Super and his lenses are all of the same vintage, then you can ignore the following advice.

Ricoh used a variant of the K-mount in some of their later 35mm cameras. They added an additional pin to the mount, that was not used on Pentax cameras or lenses. This pin can become lodged in the autofocus drive gear on a Pentax autofocus camera, which includes all their digital cameras. If this happens, it can be very (VERY) difficult to remove the lens from the camera.

So, as others have already advised you, your dad's lenses will almost certainly fit on a Pentax dslr and work, with some limitations. If you go looking for new lenses on eBay or other used markets, be careful of any lens that is said to be for PK/R mount or has a Ricoh brand name.

I don't believe that any lenses are currently being manufactured with the Ricoh pin, since Ricoh has not made slr or dslr cameras for quite a while. So, new Tamron or Sigma lenses would be safe. Of course, new Pentax lenses are safe, as well.
11-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

PK/R mounts are actually safe with a little surgery.
You just disable the Ricoh pin and the lens would just be like any other Pentax K mount lens.
11-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums by the way, and your Dad is welcome too!

11-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Morning - at least here in Tumbleweed country,

Your Dad's lenses, as everyone else has indicated, will fit on Pentax's digital bodies. Pentax still uses the K mount. Also, just in case he has any old M42 lenses (the screw mounted lenses from the Spotmatic days), they will also fit with an inexpensive adapter from Pentax for about $30.

Obviously, given the age, they will all be manual focus, and like Marc said, there is a great set of instructions at the top of this Beginners forum on how to use them.

Being able to use the old lenses is one of Pentax's trademarks, so there are a lot of folks that hunt for old glass to use.

Also, there is a wonderful site that has information on all of Pentax's lenses - past and present.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

I think that your dad may have a lot of fun shooting digital - since it is pretty immediate as opposed to getting the film developed.

hope that helps....