Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How do you get noticed online?

Hi, I'm fairly new to using Flickr and have looked at the sign up process for sites like istockphoto, but not that flickr gives you the ability to track your views. I have one question...

How do you get noticed and generate a following online?

I'm not saying I'm anything special, but what do people generally do to draw attention to their work or become part of a community of feedback within flickr itself?

Thanks.

11-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
the fastest way is to post a nude pic of yourself
11-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why do you want people to notice your photographs? I'm not being a smartass and don't really need to know the answer--but you do. Anyway, my answer to your question is "participate. There are plenty of opportunities to put up your work here and other places. After a while folks will look out for your stuff and want to check it out (or avoid it ;~)
11-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Flickr lets you track your stats and referrers, but you're going to have to pony up a few bucks for a "pro" account.

Merely putting photos on Flickr is not enough to get them noticed. There are zillions of photos on Flickr, and if you expect anyone to see your photos you have to put a little work into it.

Compare this photo on your stream and a somewhat similar photo on my stream. Look beneath the photo and at the right side of the page. What do you notice?

Your photo caption is blank. Mine contains some information. You have added your photo to no relevant groups and have added no tags. Mine is grouped and tagged appropriately.

The photo title, caption, and tags are the only way Flickr or any search engine have of knowing what the heck is in your photo, and therefore the only way of bringing it to the attention of people who may find it interesting or useful.

Some tags I always include:

Camera model
Lens
Japan / Prefecture / City
Man / woman / child
Occupation / activity
Clothing

Sets are nice, but they are entirely secondary as far as getting views. Think of them as a convenience you provide for folks who happen to wander across your photostream. Make them interesting, choose a good icon photo from among the set, and provide some descriptive introductory text. For example, I made a "Where the Girls Are" set simply because my stats page told me that's what lots of folks were doing a tag search on anyway. Placing the relevant photos in a set and making the link easily accessible near the top of the page is merely a click-saving courtesy. I have sets for various Takumar lenses for the same reason; lots of folks come looking for sample images from specific lenses.

I typically get around 1,000 page views per day at the moment. Some days shoot up to about 1500 and things seldom drop lower than 700~800.

When my photostream was not tagged/grouped like it is now, I could count the daily views on one hand and have fingers left over.

And though it might sound superficial and petty.....change the default user icon to practically anything else. There are those who, rightly or wrongly, will see that dull gray square-face icon and figure you must be such a rookie that it would be pointless to click on the photostream of a person who hadn't even figured out how to change his icon yet.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 11-15-2009 at 12:00 AM.
11-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Mike, so tags and groups eh?

Thanks so much for that. I'll start adding some tags to the photos to see if it gains any traction.

That's a huge help brother - much appreciated.

I'll leave this open to anyone else who has advice for non-flickr websites and useful medium.
11-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
Hey Mike, so tags and groups eh?

Thanks so much for that. I'll start adding some tags to the photos to see if it gains any traction.

That's a huge help brother - much appreciated.

I'll leave this open to anyone else who has advice for non-flickr websites and useful medium.
Be sure to make use of the Flickr Organizr to save yourself some time and effort when adding tags.
11-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Be sure to make use of the Flickr Organizr to save yourself some time and effort when adding tags.
Will do, thanks Mike.

And do you use a pro account? Other than the unlimited uploading do youuse any other features (if you do use it)?
11-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
Will do, thanks Mike.

And do you use a pro account? Other than the unlimited uploading do you use any other features (if you do use it)?
I believe the pro account allows for more tags to be included per photo, not sure about that. The free account limits you to a maximum of 10 groups per photo, but the pro account allows up to 60. The primary benefits are the access to stats and not having your viewable/searchable photostream limited to your most recent 200 uploads.

I use the stats page daily, to see where people are accessing from, what search terms they're using, etc. It is also handy if you like placing your photos in the view count groups, as it is easy to scroll through and see which photos have become eligible for the next higher group.