Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How to convey scale in cascade photographs???

I'm embedded a photo from a recent hike. The streams I followed up and down were large and powerful this day due to recent rain. The problem I always have photographing these is making them look as 'powerful' as they did in real life.

For example... In this photo this was a roaring cascade. It must have dropped 10 feet or more. The adjoining boulders were taller that I am.

But when I look at this photo it could be big or small. There's no sense of scale.

I think part of the issue is the what's in the scene to provide the sense of scale... Boulders can be big or small... The tree's next to them can be big or small... there is no way for the mind to be certain without an object to whom everything can be compared in scale. But who's scale is 'permanent'... like a person... I person give a sense of scale to tree's, mountains, rivers, etc... because a person is only so big - always....

But I don't want to stick a person in all of my stream shots...

Sooo, how does one give their stream shots, cascade shots, etc a sense of scale...

Thanks,

Javaslinger

11-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For that photo, and many others, a change in perspective will help... In this case, I'd lower the camera and perspective to be closer to the water so that you are not looking down so much and perhaps looking level or even up at the cascade.

Of course that isn't always possible but even kneeling down where you took the photo would help a bit.

By the way,it is a beautiful photograph regardless of the lack of scale.
11-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree. Its a beautiful photo with a pleasing tripartite structure and good movement. But to tell the story of its size, and emphasize the movement more, you'll need to go lower and fill the frame with more waterfall and less foreground. I mean, if the adjoining boulders were taller than you, but you can still see the leaves on top of them, it will, and does, throw off the perspective you want. But really, what the hell do I know... you were there, and i wasn't.