Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #1

Shooting in the cold

Hi, new here. I just purchased a *ist DS for my first DSLR and I'm liking it plenty so far, but in my manual it says the minimum operating temp is 32 degrees ! Which maybe ok if I didn't live in South Dakota where half the time the temp's well below that. I was wondering if it is truly important to not expose the camera to temperatures below this, and if so, what I can do/make/buy to make it usable at temps below 32.

Help much appreciated.

11-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi,

I've shot at below freezing with my K200D and the people I've spoken to regarding shooting on ski slopes say that the most important thing is to have the camera sealed.

If any moisture gets it will fog and freeze which could accumulate and be a problem. Also, any digital readouts may be slower too. Not sure of the batteries on the DS but batteries need to work in a specific range as well.

As far as I know, the DS is not weather sealed... please correct me if i'm wrong!
11-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Beside the Pentax K-7, most cameras have a notice not to use them in cold weather, but if everybody followed that notice to the letter, you would never get winter pictures. Go ahead and use it in winter. Just bring extra batteries that you'll keep in an inside pocket to keep them warm (cold batteries loose power FAST), and shelter the camera reasonably well while not taking pictures. Have fun, and don't worry too much. When going back inside a warm place, it is wise to put the camera and lenses in a sealed "zip lok" bag with a pack of dessicant to avoid moisture building inside the components and developing fungus. Once the camera and lenses have warmed up to room temperature (or close), you can take them out.
11-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10D also lists a 32-104 deg F. as the operating range. I missed that in the manual. The first day I got it I went out to a holiday parade and fireworks display. It was 10 deg. with a nasty wind blowing straight down the river. The camera worked fine but my fingers froze. I have taken it on the ski slopes for a full day of shooting in well below freezing temps with no issues. Like S. Dakota, our winters here are cold. 32 would be a warm day.

11-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #5

I've shot a lot at very low temperature (-20c) with no real issues except faster battery drainage.

Be extra-careful when bringing the camera back inside, there will be condensation and you need to let the camera go up to temperature slowly.

What I've done, is wrap the camera in a towel when outside, and leave the camera in the bag for a couple of hours, this will let the camera thaw slowly.

Max.
11-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Damn Brit

The K10D was taken and used on an ascent of Everest shortly after it came out. The main issue for everyday use in extreme conditions is acclimatisation, taking it from a warm building out into the cold.
11-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
for real, ive shot many times with my k10 in winter, rain, slush, hail storm, raining cats and dogs.... but like the other are saying leave the camera inside your camera bag for a few hours everithynd should be great after !!!

11-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I live somewhat north of you, and have no issues with taking my cameras out in the cold.
All the temp range means is that they haven't tested outside that range.
The camera will work until either the battery freezes and stops putting out enough electricity to power the camera or until the shutter freezes, and it has to be pretty cold for that.
Just be aware of the normal operation of your camera. For example, if the AF starts to get sluggish, the lens is freezing and putting strain on the AF motor.
Switch to MF and keep shooting.
11-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #9

Ive taken my D40 out in blizzerds and the battery draind so fast. After I was done I put it in a zip lock bag when I got in. Im thinking K200 might be better I dont have to wory so much
11-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my K10D in Antarctica and no problems. Kept a spare battery next to my heart and observed the precautions others have cautioned about.
11-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
Alright that sounds awesome!...When the 'batteries go out quick' are they gone for good or will they have life left in them after warming up?
11-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The K10D was taken and used on an ascent of Everest shortly after it came out. The main issue for everyday use in extreme conditions is acclimatisation, taking it from a warm building out into the cold.
One was even taken into outer space, remember

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/31970-pentax-k10d-space.html

In any case, those kind of numbers are just so the manufacturer can say, 'hey, shouldn't've taken it out at 30°', so they're on the safe site would anything happen. In reality, your camera will operate at far lower temperatures, but as said look out for sharp changes in temperature (such as going from indoors to outdoors or vica versa).
11-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by das ist mein pentax Quote
Alright that sounds awesome!...When the 'batteries go out quick' are they gone for good or will they have life left in them after warming up?
They recover when warmed back up.
11-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
taking it from a warm building out into the cold.
It's the other way around. Condensation happens when you go from a cold spce to a warm place.
11-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
. Kept a spare battery next to my heart
Did you use it as a substitute for a defibrillator?