Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #1

sigma 530 super vs. af 540 flash

OK, so I have tried to order the Pentax 540 flash twice and not available.
\
Talked to a nice guy at camera store and he recommended the Sigma 530 super over the Pentax 540. He says it is a better flash and will do anything the 540 will do, and is programed exactly for the Pentax camera firm ware. He knows I am going to use it with a K2000. So, I ordered it. He says that if I am not happy I have 3 weeks to return it.

I hear that Sigma makes good products. I read mixed reviews on both flashes.

I hope I did the right thing. Any comments or tips greatly appreciated.

Orrin1

11-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #2

been happy with my sigma 530 super certainly better value than the pentax flash but cant compare the two otherwise
11-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Stormcloud.....glad to hear it.

Orrin1
11-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check out mattdm's site here. He is a Pentax user on this forum and is a great site/write up on all the flashes for Pentax
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide

I don't have the Pentax flash but I have the Sigma 530 super. I think the only difference is the Pentax 530 has a little bit more power over the Sigma. Unless if you are shooting at full power all the time(I don't see a reason why anyone would) the Sigma would be good enough. It is a lot cheaper too and does everything the Pentax 530 does. The Sigma works great in Auto mode and I can't find anything to complain about it when it is on auto.

If you don't need wireless p-ttl, or swivel head, the non super can be bought for even cheaper. The swivel head is handy though and I would recommended the super version.

11-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Beside the fact that the interface of the Sigma flash is not the most intuitive (I'm being generous, here), it is a good unit. It will do the same thing the Pentax unit does (except spot beam) at a fraction of the price.