Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

KX entry level?

My husband asked why the KX is discribed as a entry level SLR, but it has all the bells and whistles, I can not answer his question maybe someone could help me out with this. Entry level or not, I shoot dirt track racing with a ist DL and I am very interested in the ISO levels of this camera.

11-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think such classifications are heavilly dependant on a companies own determinations of what they consider entry level, midrange and flagship products.

That is to say... a very skilled photographer could just as well grab a K-x and generate pictures that could easilly rival other very high end camera's.

However, you should also know that Pentax has a well known reputation for pulling such rabits out of there hats as they undermine the competition. I've seen them put together several(so called) entry level camera's that have been claimed as the ultimate camera more than once over the years and so this gives us good reason to put a little stock in Penta'x entry level products I think.

Having said that, I'd have no problems whatsoever using a K-x to cover RC racing. In fact... I think it's a splendid choice of camera for such such types of events(don't forget video ). So long as you accept that it won't take the pictures for you(arg!), you won't be disapointed.

Hope this helps.
11-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say it has "all the bells and whistles" Some features that the K-x lacks that are usually reserved for "more advanced" cameras are:
Top LCD display
Weather proof body
Optional Battery grip
More dedicated buttons (second e-dial, switch for AF.S and AF.C, ISO button, etc.)

With that said, it just has newer features like video recording because that is the current tech when the camera was released. Certainly when pentax releases an update for the mid-level/advanced cameras, they will not exclude any of the new features that the K-x has.
11-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think from a marketing perspective (cant offer one from a photographer's perspective, cuz i am a newbie), companies are better off marking things as "Entry level". It doesnt scare people thinking of switching to SLR, and may sell a gazillion times more than a Pro camera, just because its made for everyone.

That said, entry level cameras of today must be a lot more professional than the professional cameras 10 years ago in terms of functions. I think the whole thing is subjective and timeline affected.

On the other hand.., i may be biased because i only have an entry level K200D!

11-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
re: KX entry level?

K-x doesn't quite fit into the same slots as other manufacturers.

K-x compares more closely to the Nikon D5000 and Canon TLi which are significantly better than the entry models Nikon D3000 and Canon 1000D.
11-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
On the other hand.., i may be biased because i only have an entry level K200D!
We also have an entry level K100 Super and an entry level K200D .

My wife uses FF at work, and amazingly enough she finds her K100S to have unsurpassed form and function and often complains that other bodies are either limited or unintuitive. Though I can't help but feel as though Pentax is loosing it's legacy as a fearless entry level camera maker. These past model generations have really shown signs of skimping in the build and function side of things.

And so I really hope Pentax puts out a true K200D replacement along the way.
11-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-x is an entry level model because it's Pentax's most basic camera in production today, and is priced accordingly.

As mentioned, Pentax prides itself in creating cameras that are feature-packed, which rival other brands' models that are twice to three times their price.

And the K-x's performance is far from entry-level. Many users here cry repeatedly that they wished they could have a K-7 (the most advanced camera Pentax has made to date) with a K-x sensor in it.
11-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The K-x is an entry level model because it's Pentax's most basic camera in production today, and is priced accordingly.

As mentioned, Pentax prides itself in creating cameras that are feature-packed, which rival other brands' models that are twice to three times their price.

And the K-x's performance is far from entry-level. Many users here cry repeatedly that they wished they could have a K-7 (the most advanced camera Pentax has made to date) with a K-x sensor in it.
Yes, that or a weather sealed K-x, haha.

11-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
WoW Thanks for the input I've had a pentax camera for 25 yrs or so and made the switch to digital about 4yrs ago. I will own a KX before racing starts next spring and if I get my way before Christmas.