Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Question about K-x

Hello all.

I received my K-x today and have been looking through the manual. So far I have resisted the urge to slap a lens on and start firing away.

Since I am new to this, I wanted to ask the more experienced if there are any settings on the K-x that you would recommend I use other than the defaults.

Thanks.
Bill M.

11-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It really will be a learning experience to uncover.

However, for run of the mill shooting, I prefer P mode over auto(a bit more flexibility), though you might find auto helpful in learning how and why certain settings are used.

Whatever you do, don't resist!
Put on those photog glasses and start capturing your surroundings!
11-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Forum Member

if u realy want to master all aspects of photo - use only A, S, M.
I shoot in A like 90% (or 99% if exclude studio, flash and sports shooting)
11-19-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Forum Member

A mode will be the most used. Photograph the same thing with a tripod. Change the numbers in A mode. When I started I did this for a while. It gave me a basic understanding of what I wanted in my photographs. Enjoy your purchase

11-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
jup
Forum Member

It's really best if you find for yourself what settings suit you most. For example, one of the first things I did was changing AF button to work as auto exposure lock, because I really can't take pictures without AE-L. But I am sure some people here would prefer to keep it as AF, maybe even turning off AF on shutter half press... Your millage may vary.

So I'd say just go out and shoot. K-x defaults work just fine. Then you can always go back and read the manual thoroughly or just experiment with various setting. K-x makes learning fun.
11-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

Yep, as jup said. Try for yourself.
While everybody says A mode is the way to go, I stay in Hyper-P most of the time. But then, I turn to A as soon as I turn the rear wheel

Also, there are some settings that are set regardless of mode - like ISO, drive mode, exposure comp., etc. Some settings I'd recommend to set - are custom menu page 4, Allow Aperture Ring (I swear this brings up a question on the forums every week at least) so that camera can use manual lenses, and in main menu, turn power lamp off, and turn shiny LCD off when shooting.
11-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Resistance is Futile...

QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnoob Quote
... So far I have resisted the urge to slap a lens on and start firing away...
Why are you resisting? Slap that lens and start shooting. You've already spent the money. Shooting pictures with a digital camera, unlike film, costs you nothing.

Do your "firing away" in a systematic way, though. Read the manual and experiment with the different modes. Take the same picture with different settings for sharpness, contrast and saturation until you find a combination that works for you. Read about one mode and shoot exclusively with that mode until you begin to understand. Then read about the next mode and repeat the process. Upload the pictures to your computer and critique them there.

If you are a beginner, I suggest the book "Understanding Exposure", by Bryan Peterson. It does a very nice job of explaining the relationship between the three basic variables: ISO (sensitivity), aperture (f-stop) and shutter speed. After reading this book and trying some of his suggestions, you will have a better understanding of when to use a high shutter speed and when a slow speed is more appropriate. You'll understand the concept of "equivalent exposure".