Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seriously, Canon/Nikon's top end cameras don't have scene modes.

The entry level Pentax, the K-x, does have scene modes.

Btw, I wish it didn't, too much useless stuff on the dial!

Last edited by Eruditass; 11-19-2009 at 03:23 PM.
11-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

just one final comment. Do not think that because it does not have scene modes, you will not be able to take decent pictures from the outset. It still has a program mode which will set the shutter speed/aperture/ for you.
11-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The whole point about having a complex tool like an SLR is to be able to use the "triangle" of ISO/aperture/shutter speed to produce the picture you want, not what the camera "thinks" you want.
I believe that scene modes set more than just ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Other changes per scene I believe include contrast, brightness, vibrancy, saturation, and other parameters.
11-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I would be so pissed if I was shooting wedding pictures at the park and my mode dial got bumped to 'night mode'.

I would be less pissed if it got bumped to Av, Tv, TAv, P, M (bulb would suck)

that said, i know the mode dial on the k7 locks so you win anyway.

dude. get the k7

11-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Seriously, Canon/Nikon's comparable cameras to the K-7 don't have scene modes.

The comparable Pentax, the K-x, does have scene modes.

Btw, I wish it didn't, too much useless stuff on the dial! Makes it harder to teach my SO about photography!
The 50D would be the closest to the K-7, and it does have scene modes. Most Canon owners complain about this since it's a prosumer type camera and very few people who buy one would ever use those features.
11-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #21

But we need PETS, CHILDREN and FIREWORKS scene modes! Without it, I couldn't take pictures of my dog, niece and new year's celebration!
11-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I predict that starting Christmas of this year, all newly-released DSLRs will ask the user after the shutter release, "Are you sure you want to take this photo? <yes> <no>" and will not continue on until you answer that question.

Also, once in a while (as in every 10 minutes), the camera will either reboot itself or show you the blue screen of death.

11-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kitkat Quote
I believe that scene modes set more than just ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Other changes per scene I believe include contrast, brightness, vibrancy, saturation, and other parameters.
That's true, although the specifics vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. For similar-sounding scene modes, one manufacturer might decided to boost contrast and emphases greens over other colors, while a different manufacturer might take a completely different approach.
11-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by splurf Quote
Great and thanks for the advice. To paraphrase - if I am willing to take some time to learn and understand the camera and some photography basics then the scene modes will not be missed.
And even if you *don't* take the time, scene modes still won't be missed - as others have said, just put the camera in the fully automatic P mode. Whatever silly little thing the camera might have done differently because it was in a special "scene" mode rather than the fully automatic mode is a) something you probably wouldn't notice and b) something you might not have actually wanted it to do. The chances of the scene mode actually making a noticeable improvement over P mode are very low.
11-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by splurf Quote
Great and thanks for the advice. To paraphrase - if I am willing to take some time to learn and understand the camera and some photography basics then the scene modes will not be missed. I did notice that in my brief time with the K7 that it seemed to give good feedback if you selected settings that did not work. I had to wonder though as I went to the two largest camera stores in a major city how many sales Pentax is losing as every salesman I talked to tried to steer me away from Pentax for a variety of reasons. But my very first camera was a Pentax and I have to say that when you pick up the K7 it feels so much better than other cameras. Thank you for clarifying this issue.
Can you share a few reasons as to why these salesmen gave you to not go with Pentax?
11-20-2009, 02:10 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Can you share a few reasons as to why these salesmen gave you to not go with Pentax?
Several reasons which I will list:
Poor selection of lenses
lack of scene modes as opposed to the D90
Not a 'major' manufacturer like Nikon or Canon
Not a popular camera - we do not sell many
We strongly recommend Nikon or Canon!! (heavily emphasized)
Kit lens on the Nikon is a better range 18-135
The Nikon is nicer to hold
The Canon 50D is a more advanced camera
Poor high ISO performance
Better ability with Canon or Nikon to migrate to a better camera in the future as my photography skills improve.

*remember these are their reasons not mine!

Reasons given to buy a Pentax - none.

My reasons I was interested in the Pentax K7.

My first camera was a Pentax (ME Super 1980)
I like the smaller size, especially for travel
The alloy body feels solid- the competition feels light and plastic.
Weatherproofing as it rains a lot where I live
Ease of use in aperture and shutter priority modes
Viewfinder is full frame
Good metering and AF system
The latest in terms of DSLR technology
in body shake reduction I saw as an advantage over in lens.
Will be a camera that I can keep and use for many many years

There are many other differences, but those are the ones that swayed me towards the Pentax.
11-20-2009, 02:30 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kitkat Quote
This appears to be correct. SCENE modes, used to slightly adjust the exposure compensation, saturation, sharpness, contrast or combinations of these. So there is more to learn beyond just getting the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture triangle correct. It could be seen to be helpful when you quickly want to take a photo and let the camera decide for you.

I found this that was said about scene modes
Some scene modes use stored profiles to change the color settings, focusing modes, and other preferences, trying to match the intended photo to an idealized concept of that type of photo. For example, portrait mode may optimize color for more appealing flesh tones, while landscape mode might push colors toward the blues to make the sky, greenery, and lakes more dramatic.

But I also found a ton of discussion saying that a person with moderate ability there was little difference in the pictures when using scene modes.
11-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were you, I would buy K-x or K20 and enjoy scene modes as you wished and spend that extra money to buy additional lenses.

-- My 2 cents, can't be counted for your purhcase price. :-)
11-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, maybe I should consider the Kx. K20 does not do scene modes. It would probably do everything I need and save me quite a bit of money. Will have to go take a look before I can comment further. There was a question about which to choose in these forums with money not an object and knoxploration posted this:

For me, K-7. No question. I want the weather sealing, I want to be able to shoot below freezing, I want the solid magnesium body, I want the more advanced controls / ergonomics, I want the better viewfinder, I want the viewfinder AF point display,I want the better LCD, I want the higher framerate, I want the better AF, I want the AF assist lamp, I want the better metering, I want the higher max shutter, I want the in-camera leveling, I want the rotational anti-shake, I want the more advanced dust reduction, I want the better connectivity (HDMI, mic jack, cable remote, PC sync are all missing), I want the higher-res movies, I want the longer-life, lighter battery, and I want the extra custom functions.

Comparing these two cameras - unless you've got far too much Pentax glass to change systems - is frankly ludicrous. Even then, you're probably better off going to a K20D than a K-x, if you want a semi-pro camera and the K-7 doesn't meet your needs. Conversely if you want a consumer camera, why even consider the K-7?
11-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

This is a very simple equation, if you need scene modes the K-7 is too much camera for you