Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax lack of scene mode

Went into my two local dealers interested in the K7 because of its weather sealing, sturdy construction and small size. I mainly take family photos of the kids at home, at play, and on holiday. Both dealers tried to steer me to Canon or Nikon product because of the scene modes - portrait, sport, landscape. While I have not had a DSLR in a while, I would rate my photographic skills as average. Is NOT having the scene modes with the Pentax K7 a big drawback?

11-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In a word, I would say 'No.'

The K7 is an advanced camera. While having scene modes are not a bad thing, understanding exposure and control of DOF, etc. is more valuable. You can use any mode on the K7 to mimic the scene modes. I would say scene modes are great if you don't want to learn more about photography. I am sure that it will get you close most of the time. Others may disagree, but I don't think you can say the lacking scene modes is a draw back. Just Ask the dealers to see the new Nikon D3 or Canon 7D, then ask where are the scene modes.
11-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
In a word, I would say 'No.'

The K7 is an advanced camera. While having scene modes are not a bad thing, understanding exposure and control of DOF, etc. is more valuable. You can use any mode on the K7 to mimic the scene modes. I would say scene modes are great if you don't want to learn more about photography. I am sure that it will get you close most of the time. Others may disagree, but I don't think you can say the lacking scene modes is a draw back. Just Ask the dealers to see the new Nikon D3 or Canon 7D, then ask where are the scene modes.
Seconded. If you understand the basics of digital photography, the scene modes will seldom be touched because you'll just end up finding them limiting.
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thirded. While both my DSLRs have had scene modes, I haven't used them once. Av mode gets me by a solid 75% of the time, and manual works for all the rest. It might take a little bit of playing around, especially at first, but for me, that's half the fun.

11-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
Thirded. While both my DSLRs have had scene modes, I haven't used them once. Av mode gets me by a solid 75% of the time, and manual works for all the rest. It might take a little bit of playing around, especially at first, but for me, that's half the fun.
I totally agree with all 3 posters, I had scene mode in the K100d and used them for the 1st month till I got my confidence up & never used them again. Have not missed them in my K10d. You can always use Green or P mode until you get used to the camera.

I use AV mode almost all the time.
11-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

My K200D have Scene modes.. but I almost never use them.. AV or Manual mode 99.8% of the time..
11-19-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Scene modes are ususlly designed to help beginners with photography. The K2000 and the K-x both have them. The "Pro" K7 does not as well as the K10D and the K20D. The top of the line DSLRs from Canon and Nikon are also lacking this feature.

Last edited by res3567; 11-19-2009 at 08:57 PM.
11-19-2009, 03:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you want to cheat, you can use "pseudo" scene mode with the K-7 (and to a lesser extent) with the K10/20D by going into the menu and changing the priorities of the program mode, i.e. prioritizing DOF, shutter speed...
11-19-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am pleased it does not have a scene mode. Scene modes are useful for beginners coming to SLR photography for the first time, but if you are serious about your photography you will want to move away from the scene/program modes quite quickly.

The whole point about having a complex tool like an SLR is to be able to use the "triangle" of ISO/aperture/shutter speed to produce the picture you want, not what the camera "thinks" you want.

I am not belittling the scene mode/program modes. But here we are talking about the top of the range Pentax DSLR, the K7. It is not aimed at users who will want to use scene modes.
11-19-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great and thanks for the advice. To paraphrase - if I am willing to take some time to learn and understand the camera and some photography basics then the scene modes will not be missed. I did notice that in my brief time with the K7 that it seemed to give good feedback if you selected settings that did not work. I had to wonder though as I went to the two largest camera stores in a major city how many sales Pentax is losing as every salesman I talked to tried to steer me away from Pentax for a variety of reasons. But my very first camera was a Pentax and I have to say that when you pick up the K7 it feels so much better than other cameras. Thank you for clarifying this issue.
11-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with a scene mode is that you are letting the camera "decide" for you what settings you are using and giving up complete control. I would put your camera in program mode or Av mode and shoot that way. Once you understand what aperture does to your photos, you will understand how to get the kind of photos you want.

The last camera I had that had scene modes on it, I never used them. I think there was a time when I did try to use them, but I found that I forgot and would leave it on landscape when I was shooting a portrait, etc. and so I stopped. Better to think through each shot on your own.
11-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Not having scene modes is a bonus.
The K-7 is an advanced user camera, not a beginners camera.
11-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by splurf Quote
Went into my two local dealers interested in the K7 because of its weather sealing, sturdy construction and small size. I mainly take family photos of the kids at home, at play, and on holiday. Both dealers tried to steer me to Canon or Nikon product because of the scene modes - portrait, sport, landscape. While I have not had a DSLR in a while, I would rate my photographic skills as average. Is NOT having the scene modes with the Pentax K7 a big drawback?
Yes in this case, the saleperson may have been trying to help sell you a product for your needs. Though there is nothing wrong with having some simple and basic automatic and guided controls on a camera as some here have suggested all you are really doing is composing your shot and pressing the shutter release at your given moment. Some of the creativity is decided by the camera. I was guilty of this when I first got my ZX-50 however many years ago.
Once you have a better understanding of photography and your camera, the program modes are a little like using cruise control for a sports car; it will get you from point A to point B but taking control of the drive yourself is so much more interesting.
11-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
Inactive Account

"P" mode is fine (for when you want to let someone who might not know the ins and outs of a DSLR use your camera), but the traditional "Scene" modes are a waste of an extra notch on the Program dial and programming resources that might be better spent elsewhere developing or improving camera features.
11-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

scene modes are for newbies.. ask the salesperson if Canon and Nikon's Top line has scene modes or not..