Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For landscapes with my monopod, I leave NR on with good results. Same goes for HDR work.

11-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

You might want to try Lee Valley.
Telescoping Hiking Stick - Lee Valley Tools

I have been dealing with them for years and their merchandise is always the very best. I say this because the price on their "Walking Stick" which is, indeed, a monopod plus seems very low.

Mickey
11-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having good monopod technique also help.

And while you are it, might as well think safety.
11-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Stiffness might not matter as much as one might think at first.

I think the camera motion that gives rise to the 1/f rule is rotation about the camera's lens (like nodding yes or no). The nodding "no" motion can be easily frustrated by a monopod with a big rubber foot compared to a monopod with an easily rotated hard pointed foot. The nodding "yes" motion can be frustrated by a non-pivoting mounting of the camera to the monopod.

Other motions, like swaying sideways and to-and-fro from the hips are much slower frequency than the nodding motions, hence are of secondary importance. A stiff monopod has a natural vibration frequency like a pendulum on a clock which is pretty slow.

I suppose as the monopod gets more and more willowly and/or twistable, high frequency vibration & twisting modes can be set up; this is a good problem for engineering mechanics analysis. Unfortunately a brief google search for such analysis turned up little of use.

Has anyone seen any test results? These should be easy tests to do.

Dave in Iowa
My impression is that the problem with unstable monopods is that they have a low amplitude, high frequency resonance-like vibration associated with them.

I just got a much more stable, high quality monopod, so now I can test that out and see if it makes a difference (I hope so, since I just dropped a couple hundred bucks on it!).

11-22-2009, 04:02 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joshnl Quote
My impression is that the problem with unstable monopods is that they have a low amplitude, high frequency resonance-like vibration associated with them.

I just got a much more stable, high quality monopod, so now I can test that out and see if it makes a difference (I hope so, since I just dropped a couple hundred bucks on it!).
I'll be interested to see what you discover.

You are probably right that a not-stiff-enough monopod has high frequency vibration modes that are bad. It might even be the case that more flexible might be better sometimes?
11-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
Having good monopod technique also help.

And while you are it, might as well think safety.
Do you think their 'method 4' using the pouch is worth it ? I think handheld with SR on would be just as good.

mike
11-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Do you think their 'method 4' using the pouch is worth it ? I think handheld with SR on would be just as good.

mike
Not really. You can just stick the monopod into your pocket (assuming you are wearing one with horizontal pocket opening like most jeans). The premise behind the pouch is that your hips is more stable than your raised arm. There is some truth to that, except for the fact that your hips is still attached to your legs.
11-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
You might want to try Lee Valley.
Telescoping Hiking Stick - Lee Valley Tools

I have been dealing with them for years and their merchandise is always the very best. I say this because the price on their "Walking Stick" which is, indeed, a monopod plus seems very low.

Mickey
Mickey-
Have you found that these hiking/monopods fit both needs well? Or, is it the case that it is very good at one of the two and will pass as the other?

11-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StRobinson Quote
Mickey-
Have you found that these hiking/monopods fit both needs well? Or, is it the case that it is very good at one of the two and will pass as the other?
Being an authority on neither hiking nor monopods I can only voice my personal opinion.

Using a hiking stick is new to me but I can't see what more one could need that this doesn't offer. I do like the smooth perfectly sized ball at the top and the comfortable grip immediately below it. I almost always use the wrist strap as well. There is a little compass and a thermometer attached to the strap that might prove useful but not essential. The bottom has a removable rubber tip that I have been using on pavement. When it is removed there is a carbide tip which I have not yet used. I have not yet used the removable snow basket either.

As a monopod I really appreciate it's 62" extended length. I no longer have to stoop as with my previous monopod.
When I remove the ball I replace it with a small pan head. I would prefer something that only tilts as a panning head is not necessary with a monopod. The legs are quickly and easily adjustable and lock securely without having to fiddle with nasty little collars.

As for stiffness or rigidity, I don't think it is of great importance when the weight is generally straight down as with a monopod.
I just extended it to its full length and tried to flex it. It didn't give.

I guess that about covers the subject.

Mickey