Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #1

Carl Zeiss 50mm f1:1.4

Does anyone have comments / comparrisons about the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 K mount manual focus lens listed at B & H at $550?

11-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKSA Quote
Does anyone have comments / comparrisons about the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 K mount manual focus lens listed at B & H at $550?

See lens forum. These are nice. Razor sharp. They are of course manual focus, and many do not much like the 'bokeh' (how out-of-focus backgrounds look, basically. ) appears, but that wouldn't bother me. Pentax's own FA 50 1.4, or the new 55, would probably be a more popular choice all around. Overall, just as good. I'd love to have one, myself, but that's a matter of taste.

See, when I was a younger lass, I didn't dream of being able to afford Leica. I was dreaming of Contax, with glass like that. But I'm quirky. If you want that lens over others, you will know just why.
11-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments. I will look in the lens forum (I am new here and still learning my way around). When I was a youngster I used to use my dad's Zeiss Ikon - (fully manual) and produced some lovely immages. I then (I am talking 1967) bought myself a Minolta SRT101 with 55 1.4 lens and my dad gave the Zeiss somewhat later to my brother-in-law much to my chargrin. SRT 101 was stolen and I replaced it with an XE5 but with the 1.7 lens. Didnt like it as much and lost interest in photography.
I was hoping to inherrit my father-law's Leica M3 and his cotax SLR but he gave them to his son who lost them!!! Just recently moved into digital and loving it to bits but need to get lenses as the Schroeder kit lens bought with my first DSLR a Samsung X1l is not that great. Waiting for a 50mm 1.7 FA lens bought on the South African version of Ebay (bid or buy) for equvalent of $70. Will try that before progressing. In South Africa we pay about 60% more in dollar terms for agent imported photographic goods which puts most stuff out of reach. Have to go "grey" import path which has its guarantee issues.