Can I have this explained in lamer's terms? I guess I don't grasp
the concept and a difference.

Thanks.

aldo

11-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you look in your manual, you will find a diagram of the focus points the camera uses. There are eleven of them.
  • Your camera allows you to let the camera select the point to use, which generally is the closest thing to the camera,
  • The center point only, or
  • Any one of the eleven points by selecting it ahead of time.
In a studio for still life, there might be an advantage to set the AF system to focus on the point that is on an off centre subject. Personally, I have never used the selector other than to try it out when I received the camera. My brain is confused enough without trying to remember which point on my focusing screen is in use.

My personal preference is for center point AF only. Perhaps the fact that I use M series lenses that can only use the centre point may influence my decision.

Hope this helps.

The lever on the front of the camera allows you to turn off the AF system and focus yourself (MF)
Focus automatically and only release the shutter when the camera detects an in focus image (AF.S) - s for single.
Focus automatically, but take a picture whenver you press the shutter release, whether or not the camera has locked fous.
11-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus modes:
AFS= Autofocus single: Press and focus, it will not update the focus if your subject moves or you move the camera.

AFC= Autofocus continuous: Press and focus, if the subject moves it will attempt to re-focus.

M= manual focus.

AF point switching= changing the point the camera uses to focus. There are 11 (?) points the camera can use to focus, as indicated in the viewfinder. You can choose which one the camera wil use. Note that the later firmware changes how this works with the centre (mode?) button.