Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K100 Super flash question

Is it possible to use true manual flash on the K100 Super, that is, have the flash work at full capacity NOT dependent on the camera-to-subject distance of the amount of light reflected back to the sensor.

It seems to me that the flash is actually AUTO whether it's set to auto or manual, that is, flash exposure is determined by the amount of light reflected back to the sensor.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks,
Pentaxable

11-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

My camera is K10D and I've never used the K100D Super. But I don't think they are any different related to your question.

In fact, your question is not clear, so I assume you're talking about the built-in flash.

The only way to force the built-in flash to fire at full power is with a manual lens (a lens without A aperture setting, or with A setting but the aperture ring is not at A).

I wish there was a way to adjust the power of the built-in flash to 1/2, 1/4, ..... As far as I know, Pentax DSLRs up to and including the K10D don't have this provision.

I avoid the built-in flash as much as possible. If I need just a small flash, I use my little Pentax AF160.
11-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, I was speaking of the built-in flash.

You've answered my question: the built-in flash is indeed auto (except when used with a manual lens). I guess an external flash is the answer to the problem.

Thanks for your reply.
11-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxable Quote
Yes, I was speaking of the built-in flash.

You've answered my question: the built-in flash is indeed auto (except when used with a manual lens). I guess an external flash is the answer to the problem.

Thanks for your reply.
I expect the flash would fire at full power in Manual mode (manual settings for aperture, shutter and ISO). Full power with the built-in isn't much though compared to an external flash.

11-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I expect the flash would fire at full power in Manual mode (manual settings for aperture, shutter and ISO). Full power with the built-in isn't much though compared to an external flash.
If you are using a "modern" lens that transmits the f-stop to the body, the built-in flash will be in P-TTL mode. EVEN if you are using M on the camera to set the f-stop and ISO (and shutter speed, which has no bearing on flash exposure anyway )

Built-in flash sucks for a multitude of reasons, so it is generally a good idea to buy a hot-shoe flash as soon as possible if you care about the way your indoor pictures look
11-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, obviously the only way to 'control' the flash is to use an external one.