Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #1

Pentax K100D Preview display in LCD quit working.

Hi,
I'm new to posting here but I read as much as I can of your posts. Can anyone assist me? I've owned 4 Pentax cameras and purchased the K100D 2 1/2 years ago. Love it! But suddenly The Preview Display (in digital setting) on the LCD monitor is not working when I go to take a picture. I can hit 'menu' and work in that screen in the LCD. But the screen is dark & blank when I try to preview a picture I'm composing. So I'm using the viewfinder...would rather use the LCD to preview..any ideas out there?

Thank you so much...

11-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a setting to change the DOF preview from optical to digital. When it is in digital, and you hit the preview switch, the image will show on the back LCD.

I don't have a K100D manual anymore, but I recall it was not easy to find in teh manual. Maybe another K100D owner can find the page for you.
11-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #3

Hit the MENU button and go to CUSTOM SETTING, scroll down to PREVIEW METHOD arrow right and select (1) DIGITAL PREVIEW. That should do it.
11-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums mysharonna!
I have the K100S super and I don't know if they are the same but I never knew it had that feature (optical and digital preview)...probably I just don't check.

11-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
Great to meet other Petaxan's!

Thanks for the suggestions KungPOW, DreTAX !
And GerryL - some many setting so little time, right? So here's where I am...

KungPOW: I actually found the 'PreviewMethod' under the "Custom Setting'... and the 'Digital Preview' option is already set. The blank LCD is a new occurrence. I did un-check it and re-checked Optical and then changed it back to Digital..no luck..weird huh?

DreTAX: Okay I think you mean Depth of Field for DOF? Right? SO I still have my manual (it's getting dog-eared) and I'll try and locate that..

I'm afraid I may have to find a camera shop.... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Again thank you guys so much...I'm still searching for a solution...

MySharonna
11-23-2009, 04:30 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by mysharonna Quote
Hi,
I'm new to posting here but I read as much as I can of your posts. Can anyone assist me? I've owned 4 Pentax cameras and purchased the K100D 2 1/2 years ago. Love it! But suddenly The Preview Display (in digital setting) on the LCD monitor is not working when I go to take a picture. I can hit 'menu' and work in that screen in the LCD. But the screen is dark & blank when I try to preview a picture I'm composing. So I'm using the viewfinder...would rather use the LCD to preview..any ideas out there?

Thank you so much...
I just reread your original post & i think you might be looking for "instant review", where the image is shown on the lcd briefly after taking a shot, if so hit MENU then ARROW RIGHT followed by ARROW DOWN TWICE then select 1, 3,5sec. I hope that was the right solution (fingers crossed)
11-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
clarification...

Hi DreTAX,

Thanks for offering advice....I think that I need to get more specific:

You know how you can compose a shot and, before you take the picture, you can view it via the LCD? Well that is what I've suddenly lost ....I can view the Menu items and I can also view the pictures that I've already taken...I can no longer compose via the LCD....

Does this make sense?
11-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mysharonna Quote
You know how you can compose a shot and, before you take the picture, you can view it via the LCD?
No. You're describing "liveview", a feature common in P&S cameras, but not a feature the K100D has ever had. You're simply mistekn if you're remembering the K100D ever doing that. SLR's - both digital and film - were meant to compose using the viewfinder - that's the whole reason the SLR was invented. A few recent digital SLR's have come up with schemes for allowng P&S-stye "liveview" despite the presence of the mirror and viewfinder assembly that defines the SLR, but it's sort of an awkward add-on to a camera that was designed to be used in a entirely different manner.

11-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
Marc, thanks for dropping in....maybe your right...I've had the camera for 2 years now...a professional photographer friend of mine (now in another state unfortunately) has a Sony and it had the composition feature as well. The only reasion I recall this is we compared the features when I got it tow years ago...used it every scince...but you're the professional...so I'l go with yor opinion. If I do end up finding out that I lost the feature AND I get it back..I'll let you know...adn if I find out that I was out-there-on-Saturn and imaginecd the feature I 'll let you know as well... fair enough?

Thanks again....I really love this forum...(really miss my Pentax Spot-o-matic too...starting to really like digital though... lotsa features)..
11-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

May this be the DOF preview he/she is talking about?
If you flick the "on" switch to the opposite direction it would show you a preview of your shot before actually burning/putting it on the SD card.