Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trailing curtain sync problem?

Hi. Please anyone help me to verify this:
I am using K20 with a manual focus lens (classic 50mm f1.4). What I am trying to do is set the flash to trailing curtain sync. It is not possible. Why? Can anyone check this for me? If I use the kit lens (18-55mm), it is OK to set to trailing curtain sync.

My question is:
When I am using manual focus lenses in manual mode, the camera should not care about the settings and just fire the flash - in trailing curtain. I set the speed, that should be the only parameter that will affect the sync.
Is it a bug in firmware? I am expecting completely manual.

The menu gray out the trailing curtain option on manual lenses. Can anyone test the new FA 50mm f1.4 for me?

Best regards, Hoanpham

Last edited by hoanpham; 11-20-2009 at 01:54 PM.
11-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and welcome here.
Indeed, manual lenses do not give the camera any information to allow it to meter flash exposures correctly, so the only thing the camera will do is fire the flash (without any of the extra features) at full power.

All of the features of the flash will work with the FA 50/1.4, and any other A, F, FA, DA or DFA lenses, and their equivalents in the 3rd party lenses for Pentax.
11-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. That's what I tried, manual flash, manual speed/ap, but sync signal, which I intend to set as trail curtain. It just a simple override in firmware. I can't see why pentax is limiting this option.

I have a work around after a few more tests, but clumpsy: I'm using sigma 530 super and set the flash manually to trail/second curtain. It works, but I have to attach my flash to the camera all time. I'm using mostly off-camera flash, radio trigger or build-in wireless, with lots of manual lens use, it is so annoying with a big flash attached.

I can also use the attached flash as "controller" and another sigma as slave, and still have trailing curtain sync. Problem is I have to cover the attached flash, and can only use the sigmas as slaves, without others flashes attached to radio slaves.

Can someone post an enhancement request to pentax for the next firmware?

I hope someone can verify AF lenses keep trailing curtain sync. Thanks.

Last edited by hoanpham; 11-20-2009 at 04:47 PM.
11-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you get a second Sigma (or Metz, or Pentax), you can put it on the hot shoe to work as controller. That way, you could use it in any mode you want, wireless, trailing curtain, high speed sync...