Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #1

Can't get RAW from K-x working?

I'm trying to use RAW mode, but can't seem to get the images to open in Windows.

I installed a WIC codec from the Pentax site, and also the Fastpictureviewer WIC codec pack from Fast Picture Viewer | WIC RAW Codec Pack for Windows 7, Vista and XP

I can see a preview of the images (and they look good, dammit!! ) but can't open them in Photo Viewer.

I get an error that says "The file may be unsupported, damaged or corrupted"

Similarly, if I try to open them in CS3, I get an error.

I'm wondering - has the RAW format changed for the K-x?

can anyone suggest what I need to install to be able to use/manipulate these .PEF files?

11-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There's always slight changes to the RAW format with each new model it seems.
Your PENTAX should have come with a disc containing the PENTAX Photolab?
(I have a K-7 and haven't installed anything from it either )
Best bet would be to save as .DNG rather than .PEF then you should be fine with CS3.
The .PEF you have already can be converted to DNG with the free DNG Converter from Adobe.

Also, the free RAWTherapee may handle your .PEF (it supports the K-7)
11-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The K-X PEFs will never, ever work with CS3.
At some point a codec might be released to allow Windows to thumbnail the things, but it might be a while, or it might not happen at all.
Just shoot DNG and get on with life.
11-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys - I used DNG Converter to change my existing issues...

Then spotted a new update on the Pentax site (19th November - only 3 days ago!) that has an updated raw codec - which supports the k-x in windows, and the CS3 WIC import.

now my only problem is that I dropped the camera last night, trying to get some night sky pictures

11-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TheoJones Quote
I'm trying to use RAW mode, but can't seem to get the images to open in Windows.

I installed a WIC codec from the Pentax site, and also the Fastpictureviewer WIC codec pack from Fast Picture Viewer | WIC RAW Codec Pack for Windows 7, Vista and XP

I can see a preview of the images (and they look good, dammit!! ) but can't open them in Photo Viewer.

I get an error that says "The file may be unsupported, damaged or corrupted"

Similarly, if I try to open them in CS3, I get an error.

I'm wondering - has the RAW format changed for the K-x?

can anyone suggest what I need to install to be able to use/manipulate these .PEF files?
You can also use Google's free Picasa 3.5, I do not have a K-x, but it should work
PEF files on my K10D and K-7 are much smaller than the DNG files, so I prefer PEF.
You can convert PEF files to DNG in any later point in time using Lightroom.
Try the Lightroom 3.0 beta release for instance and see how that works for you.
Be aware that Lightroom does many, many more things than just showing images.

Last edited by bymy141; 11-22-2009 at 06:23 AM.
11-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd also recommend making your K-x save RAW format files as DNG. DNG is much more widely readable and is a good archive choice too.

Picasa works fine with K-x DNG's, fwiw. As does other freeware like FastStone Image Viewer and IrfanView. DCU 4.11 also works too of course.