Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #1

M lens use and mac

I have an old "M" Pentax lens. Can I use it on a k-x? I can't tell if there are adaptor rings for all older lenses or just some...

Also, although I shouldn't have to ask this question (as in, the answer should always be yes): is the camera/software usable on a mac?

Thanks much

11-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #2

Hey,

You can use any K-mount M lens on your K-x. The camera won't be able to control the aperture, though, so you'll have to operate the aperture ring yourself (and use stop-down metering).
Edit : and of course, it won't be autofocus.

If the lens is pentax, and it's not M42 (threaded), then it'll be fine to use.

The camera will be usable on a mac; you can connect it via USB and it will just show up as a drive.
The .jpgs will definitely be readable (by OS X) and the .pef RAW files should be openable in iPhoto - someone can confirm for you though, or you can check the iphoto camera compatibility list.

The .pef RAW files may not open in Preview.app, but you may be able to 'quicklook' them.

Dunno about the software Pentax includes with the Kx; Most people (on a mac) seem to use either :

- iPhoto
- Aperture
- Lightroom
- Photoshop

- Jeremy
11-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax software that comes with the camera is also compatible with Mac OS X.

cheers
11-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For more on how to use M (and other manual) lenses on a Pentax DSLR, see the sticky thread in the beginner's Q&A forum, which is where I'm moving this thread.

11-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Picasa for OS X is very nice, and it's free!